1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My favorite female columnist brings the funk today....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jason_whitlock, Dec 8, 2006.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

The column is fine....but she's going to need a new 'I' key on her laptop very soon. I'd like to see her tell a story without putting herself in the middle of it.

2. 21, it's page 2.... come on.... it's a powerful column.... putting herself in the middle of it is what freshened the katie hnida angle.... it was a good column and i don't even agreee with it at all....

mizzougrad, you might have to recant? and is "f---ing" in the dictionary or is it white-establishment approved slang?

3. just checked... it's in the dictionary.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Could be worse. She could have included her father, Sully and Jimmy Kimmel.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Why does it matter if it's Page2 or an SI cover story?

I agree, the personal spin gave the Hnida story some relevance....but it's a pattern that's coming out in all the columns. There's an art to being present without announcing yourself with a bullhorn.

6. My only thoughts: Katie Knida's autobiography title is grossly misleading.
    "Still Kicking: My Journey as the First Woman to Play Division One College Football."

WOW!!!

She never PLAYED D-I college football. She KICKED for a D-I college football team.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Sickle Jealous Anemia

8. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Thank you, Joe Paterno. ::)

I agree with 21. While the personal references here were certainly relevant, I'm not so sure that was the best approach.

Perhaps put Hnida's experience in context with other sexual assault victims; the angle could have been about projected number of rapes never reported, or the lingering effects of assault, or that Hnida is one of X victims of date rape.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Dumbfuckstick.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

If you liked the approach -- I did -- then there's no way around the word "I" multiple times without being extremely awkward.

Whether she needs it all the time is another matter, although some columnists, it just works better for them. I'm not as set against it as a rule as some. Just depends.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I mean no disrespect to Hill, and I'm not insensitive to her story, but I found it hard to read the column. The switching back and forth from Hnida's story to Hill's story didn't work for me.

That doesn't mean I don't feel for both women, but I tend to agree with 21 and Cadet that perhaps another approach might have worked better. It takes courage to write about something so personal and emotional, but sometimes you lose the objective editor within when you do.

12. Only problem I had was with the ending. That was pretty "jelly-sickling" weak. You know, because f***ing is from the white establishment, and all.

Draft saved Draft deleted