1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My ex-girlfriend's getting engaged...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GBNF, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

2.5 years ago? Dude, grow a pair. And you broke up with here?!?!

Unless she was your first piece, you should get over it in time, but you may always think of her.

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

You should communicate better. Apparently she thought you did want to be with her when you broke up with her.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Excellent question. I was wondering, too. Why are you so upset over a woman you broke up with?

Even though I am happily married, there is one woman that I still feel that little twinge when she comes to mind. Not that I would ever want to change a thing, but it's still there. Probably always will be. But at the time, it wasn't my call for that to end.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That's what you get for humping the dog instead of her. ;D

(hanging curve, etc.)

5. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Well, there's that.

6. Congratulations to you.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Five years later the ex-girlfriend sent me a wedding invitation. We had both been involved with other people in those five years and had stayed friends, but still. Our get-togethers had become less frequent over the past two years. I wasn't sure if she really wanted me there or was trying to be polite. We'd run into each other at a Blockbuster a few months earlier and she invited me over to watch the movie and meet the guy.

So I procrastinated for a few weeks. Her best friend called; she was handling the RSVPs. Said, "Aren't you coming?" I said sure, I'll be at the wedding, I don't think I can make the reception. For some reason I thought of an episode of the Mary Tyler Moore Show in which Lou Grant intended to attend his ex-wife's wedding and Mary told him that's something Sonny Bono would do, not you.

I went. I didn't expect to feel so much, but I did. But I was glad I went. I suppose it was my way of saying I really meant it about staying friends and I suppose it was her way, too. Eight years later I invited her to my wedding. She said she'd go but didn't show. But that's just the way she's always been -- not showing up, for dates, for jobs, for whatever -- and it's a big reason why we split in the first place. But I'll be sending a Christmas card to her next week with the rest. She's divorced now but has been living with someone for a few years. It's been 20 years since we were a couple.

8. BBJones

BBJones Guest

It's not funny, clever or anything else. But it's so true. I nominate this for post of the year.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Two and a half years? And you want to mope about her being engaged? Turn in your man card. Now.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Agreed.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Especially since, if I read this correctly, he broke up with her!

12. Hey, Bruce is still moping about some girl who left him on the Boardwalk 30 years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted