1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My ESPN question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I've never joined in the ESPN bashing much around here. I don't watch ESPN all that much and don't mind too much of what they do except for all the "cool" talk and catchphrases on Sports center.

But.

This a.m., I'm packing up and getting ready to clear my hotel. Sports center is on and I notice clips of some pee wee football game. Then the anchor - not sure which woman it was today - is INTERVIEWING the kid on the phone. It is about as brutal as you can imagine, given that a nine-year-old is on the other end.

I was astonished that this would make the air. How long have they been doing this and does anybody really think it is a good idea?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It's news to me, Moddy. Then again, when isn't ESPN infuriating the average viewer?

3. Moderator1

Apparently, parents submit video of their kids at work and the winner gets interviewed!!

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I've reached the point where I only watch SportsCenter after big events just to catch the HD highlights.

For most of my highlight needs, I just tune into ESPNews when I get home at 1 a.m.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

ESPN doesn't infuriate the average viewer, it infuriates viewers who know the difference between entertainment and sports.  

Countless--probably most--viewers are happy to turn on ESPN, and co-exist with it in the background all day and night. You don't like what's on, wait five minutes, there'll be something else.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Excellent point, 21. Hatred toward ESPN is probably five times higher per capita on SportsJournalists.com than it is in the rest of the world.

7. Moderator1

Let me make it clear that I do not hate ESPN.
    I pretty much hated that segment.

8. Moddy - I saw that interview and it was painful. Another dumb promotion by ESPN that I don't think gets anywhere. I can't wait for football to start so we get all the highlights and these gimmicks bite the dust.

9. WSKY

WSKY Member

It's summer, what else is there for them to chat about?

10. Moderator1

Let's see:
    Baseball.
    World Cup.
    Auto racin'

Wasn't the NHL draft this weekend?
    Isn't the NBA draft coming up?

I suspect they could have filled an hour without talking to a nine-year-old.

11. Zeek

Zeek Member

ESPN: the partial sports network. Nothing infuriates me more than watching SportsCenter in the winter. 30 minutes of the NBA, 28 minutes of NCAA basketball, and 2 minutes of hockey. Kiss my ass, ESPN.

12. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

No, 28 minutes of Duke, Duke, Duke and more Duke. Hey, baaaayyy, beeeeee!

Draft saved Draft deleted