1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My editing pet peeve - what's yours?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Idle threat. You love me too much for that. ;D

2. "is now" or "is currently" drives me insane. A couple of our writers do it. Just about everyone at AP does it.

"is" means "now" damnit!

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The use of "dilemma" as a synonym for "problem" or "quandary."

Dilemma is specifically a choice between two unattractive alternatives.

Thus, Peyton Manning goes not face a dilemma on 3rd-and-3 when tying to decide whether to give the ball to Joseph Addai or throw a quick slant to Reggie Wayne.

And finally, there must be a writer who can spell supersede correctly. I just haven't met him or her yet.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Dash abuse. I hate unnecessary dashes.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Tommy would pass the ball to Johnny, who would score.
    I know people think it's supposed to sound more intelligent, but it doesn't.
    Their/its
    I'm sure, however, that it's such a common mistake that one day it won't be a mistake anymore.
    Writers who don't understand how to use apostrophes (What, exactly, is do damned confusing about it?)
    Writers whose idea of a proper noun is not the same as mine. (Folks, we're not writing a court document. No need to be that formal)

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

any win over another team pisses me off.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Fixed.

Mine is comprise. Everyone thinks he's (not they're) the one who knows how to use it correctly. No one does. It should be banned. At my last paper, we did ban it.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and if they are going to use those fucking words, at least use "currently is" and "now is." i hate splitting that shit up.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Nothing more than passive voice when our focus should be on active voice. Keep it active, eh?

More intelligent? More like pretentious, and that won't help bring in readers.

10. KoM

KoM Member

One of our young guys started writing "would this" and "would that" earlier this year. I told him that was SID writing and to stop it now.

As for SIDs one that I get in releases all the time that drives me nuts is the their/its thing but in reverse. One guy we deal with insists on saying (for example) "The Braves won its sixth straight game."

If School Name is an "its" then Mascots are a "their."

11. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

Not really sure why this bothers me so much: 'Colombia' is a country. 'Columbia' is a university.

Not ... f'n ... difficult.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I hate to post on this thread because I know I hack half of these rules to death, but I am posting in the defense of the writers that do the two spaces before the period.

At one time (about 15 years ago), didn't we have to put two spaces before the period? I am thinking of the old black and green screened computers, but I cannot think of the name.

Draft saved Draft deleted