1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My editing pet peeve - what's yours?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 23, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

All three of those are at the top of my list. Misplaced prepositions are right up there, along with their/its and who/which.

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I hate the word "on" when used with a day or date.

Tuesday is not a coffee table to put something "on."

The Bumblefucks lost 49-7 to the Big Boogers in the first conference game of the year Friday at Bumblefuck Stadium.

But I see your point about "Joe Smith Tuesday" and that's when a simple rewrite can help.

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

That's the one I can't break, no matter how hard I try. See.

As for mine, they're your/you're and its/it's.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'll add something that I hate about journalism style: The long sentences some writers (I'm included in that number) end up writing in lede grafs in an effort to get a shit load of information into one sentence.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Don't forget plated. :D

6. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Basketball, the difference between nouns and adjectives. I hate this. Hate it.

Joel Hammond went 9-of-9 from the field on his way to 24 points and the NBA Finals MVP award in leading the Cavaliers past Phoenix in Game 7.

LeBron James, once again playing second fiddle to Hammond, made only 1 of 9 shots, but hit 14 of 15 free throws to back Hammond.

NOT

LeBron James, once again playing second fiddle to Hammond, made only 1-of-9 shots, but hit 14-of-15 free throws ....

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

We do 1 of 9 from the floor, but 1-of-9 shooting.

8. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

No they're not. What kind of shots? 1-of-9 shots? That doesn't make any sense. 1-of-9 shooting, on the other hand, is correct.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Those ledes where the score is anywhere below the third graf. The AP optional for Davidson-Georgetown drags on and finally lists the score at the bottom of the fourth graph.

There's an SE at one of the small dailies in my current area that waited until the sixth graf to put his score in a high school gamer. Sadder still, he actually supervises a staff.

Quality? Only if it comes insanely cheap in this area ... ::)

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Basic grammatical errors, especially it's/its.

11. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I feel your pain. One of these days I'm going to lose it when I get a stupid caption from the copy desk.

My "favorites" are when it's a file photo and someone decides it's important to describe when and where it was taken even though that has no relevance to the story. We also once had a tryout write a "while Person X looks on" in a caption.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

It could be poor-quality.

Draft saved Draft deleted