1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Early Thanksgiving....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, May 30, 2014.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

A few weeks ago, my wife of nearly 18 years got a preliminary diagnosis for cancer in her liver and lungs. What started out as a complaint about a mild pressure in her chest led to a an x-ray then a CT scan that showed multiple large masses which combined with "numerous nodules" in her lung. Dr. told her "I know this is not the news you were looking for."

Crushing, made me angry with the world, how could such a sweet, non-smoking, non-drinking person get this? Simply unfair. I know I have many things to be grateful for; this had me contemplating losing someone I have held dearest in my life and the fraility of everything.

In 48 hours I tried to formulate a gameplan on how to deal with this as a team and as a family. How to beat the big C.

Later that week, gathered in the backyard to tell the boys when they got home from school; just as second boy gets through the door and I brace to call the meeting, wifey gets a call; Dr. says second CT scan shows that the masses were not cancerous and that the lung nodules are now likely from an infection, not the C mestastizing (?). Blood tests now corroborate this.

Wifey and I are trying to hang on the feeling of how fleeting life is and to treasure each day.

Unbelievable turn of events.

2. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I started reading your post, stopped and thought "where the hell is the Thanksgiving in this?" I didn't think I could read the part where you told your kids.

I can only imagine what it was like for you and your wife to hear that (mis)diagnosis.

But yes, treasure every day.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Wow. What a turn. Happy Thanksgiving!

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

So good to hear! Sorry you had to have such a scare!

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Ho Lee Shit. Fabulous news. I don't know you from Adam's housecat and I'm happy for you!

6. Colton

Colton Active Member

My goodness... I can only imagine the rollercoaster of emotions you and your wife went through. Wishing you nothing but the best!

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing, qt. Happy for you and your family.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Wow. I was reading the start of this and wondering where the Thanksgiving was. Then I read the whole thing.

What a crazy turn of events. Glad you and your wife got the second call.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I was worried it meant at you wold have to celebrate the holiday early because she wouldn't be around later. Glad that's not the case.

But holy F-up on the doctor's part.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Wow! I too was wondering after your first graph. Celebrate with turkey and all the trimmings.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Great news!!!

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Folks, thank you so much for your warm wishes; most importantly, thanks for just giving me an outlet and listening.

I am wishing all of you never have to go through that range of emotions.

Draft saved Draft deleted