1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My dad - can anyone top this?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Jun 2, 2009.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i had a lousy relationship with my dad for a long time. it wasn't until the last few years that we were able to somewhat mend the past. he's been in either a hospital or nursing facility now for a little over 2 months and none of us are sure he can understand us and we know we can't understand 95 percent of what he says.

having said this, i think i'm handling the stroke and eventually will handle his death a lot better than if we had still been on the outs. the things my dad did were wrong but unresolved differences - even the deepest divisions - can make for feelings of incompleteness when they're gone.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My biological father and I have a very difficult relationship (he walked out on mom and me when I was 9 months old, refused to help pay for college, etc.). That said, I don't think I'll every have to worry about him letting my kids gamble when they're teenagers or acting a fool to an Asian waitress. You have my sympathies, Poin.

3. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Also has this guy to beat.

[​IMG]

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That's the worst thing he ever did? Your dad is a great guy then.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Shit, this thread even makes me want to go hug my dad, who is not really awesome but a long way from poin's.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

A few years ago, I had gone to Vegas, placed some bets for him and I for football games that weekend. I had dropped by his house - and didn't give him his bet tickets - I had already won a bet, and knew I would be mailing at least one ticket. After I got home, we were on the phone:

Him: Did you place my bets?
    Me: Yeah - Here are your spreads.
    Him: But where are the tickets?
    Me: I am holding them. I'll mail them in if there are any winners - I already have a winner, so I am mailing them anyways.

He completely blew up because HE WASN'T ABLE TO HOLD THE BET TICKETS IN HIS HAND WHILE HE WATCHED THE GAMES.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That's easy. Since you weren't able to hold the bet tickets, dad, I guess you didn't place the bets. Sorry.

8. lono

lono Active Member

When I told my father that my new girlfriend was Armenian, the first thing he said to me was, "Well, is she white?"

Then again, when he was 8, he told the Mother Superior at his Catholic school that she was full of shit. And he did it in front of his old man, who beat him senseless.

Once, he got in a fight with his little brother and threw a can of Drano at him, which broke upon contact. Dad then held his head under the water for a minute or two to rinse it out. Hilarity ensued.

He got in a fight with his drill instructor in his first night in Parris Island.

He used to regale us with stories of whorehouses and burlesque shows, running numbers for cops in his neighborhood and barroom brawls full of brass knuckles, saps and gun barrels.

He was a warrior and sometimes a bastard, but he loved my Mom and in his own way was immensely proud of his kids. There was no one who was better in a foxhole, either.

In the last years of his life, he used to tease me relentlessly about our daughter and the fact that boys will be flocking to her when she starts dating. "I bet you hope she finds a nice boy like you were in high school," he'd tell me, laughing, aware that I'd had a somewhat active social life back in the day. "Yeah, that's it. A nice boy like you."

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Never said he wasn't. Just said he was a bit goofy every now and then.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My dad always tried to teach his parrot to cuss.
    He'd sit there and say, "Son of a bitch. Son of a bitch. Son of a bitch."

Of course, that's not how a parrot learns to talk. He picks stuff up somehow but repeating lines to it doesn't work.
    BUT
    My mom would hear him doing this and give out a shrill BILLLLL whenever he did it.
    So the parrot learns, whenever my mom changes her inflection, to go BILLLLLLL. Sounded just like my mom.
    We'd laugh like crazy.
    So the parrot learns to laugh.
    BILLLL
    BILLLL
    Laughter
    Laughter
    Mom goes apeshit
    Repeat

My mom hated that bird. The second my dad died, the parrot was out of there. We kidded her many years later that she got rid of the bird before she called the ambulance.

Bird also said, "Michael," every single day upon hearing my school bus pull up in front of the house.

I miss my dad and I miss Billy the Parrot.

11. I Digress

I Digress Guest

My dad was an alcoholic who I basically didn't speak to after my mom died, unless I had to. When he died, just before I graduated college, I was equal parts relieved and sad. Maybe a little more relieved.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Poins' dad sounds like a mix of Archie Bunker and Jerry Van Dyke in his stint on Yes Dear...

Draft saved Draft deleted