1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My cat ran away...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MrWrite, May 15, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I laughed like hell at that

2. rube

rube Active Member

Sorry about your cat MrWrite ... they almost always seem to turn up when you least expect it. When I was a kid, we thought our cat was gone for like a week -- turns out, she was just lounging around in our ridiculously filthy basement for about six days.

On an unrelated note, do cats come when they're called? I know damn well they hear you, but I'm pretty sure their smartass demeanor demands it of them to completely and utterly ignore you.

3. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

HOORAY!

The cat found his way home (sort of). He found his way to behind my back balcony (im on the second floor) and when he saw me sit in my chair by the glass door (after another lengthy search of the neighborhood) he started meowing. I stood on the back deck reassuring him vocally while my girlfriend ran around the building to scoop him up.

So Charles Barkley is back home. And as far as I know, he hasn't racked up any new gambling debts while he was patrolling the neighborhood.

Thanks to all for the kind words and happy-ending stories. I'm relieved to say I now have one of my own.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Awesome news, MrWrite.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Awesome news! Very happy for you. I'd be a complete wreck if one of my little buddies got out.

you might want to take him to the vet to give him a once-over (and, if he's due for his disease shots, those as well, because youneverknow). So happy he's back!

6. rube

rube Active Member

Hey nice! Good to hear he/she wasn't just sleeping under a gigantic box of family photo albums for a week.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's great, Mr.Write.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

You're right, they choose what and when they want to hear.

My older cat, I swear to God, he must have a cat IQ of 250. When my wife goes to bed, our younger cat is inevitably in there with her. She'll call him in and he'll sit there, staring at the door from the floor near the couch. I step completely out of the room, she calls him and he runs in.

This is also the cat who runs into the kitchen whenever he hears the russling of a package of lunch meat. He LOVES ham. Sometimes, he comes in when I'm merely picking out a paper plate on which to put my sandwich...yet he almost never does it when I'm picking out a paper plate to eat a bagel. He's something else.

9. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I'm sorry to hear about this Write. Hope the little guy returns, which odds are he will. Here's a story.

The summer I met my wife, she had a cat that for whatever reason, just didn't like men. For some reason, the cat warmed up to me. A few weeks later, my wife and the cat moved into my one-bedroom, second-floor apartment. We both worked nights at the time, and she would head off to work first. One day after she left, I noticed the window slightly ajar and the cat nowhere to be found in the apartment. I looked everywhere in and around the apartment twice. All I could conclude was that the cat crawled out on the ledge and roamed off who knows where. I left for work.

Ten hours later, I'm walking home after midnight. As I approach my building, there the cat is, meowing up at the window two stories up. Who knows how long it sat there. I trotted up to her, hoping with every step she wouldn't freak out and bolt, scooped her up and brought her inside. She's still with us 11 years later.

EDIT: Congrats! I'm sure you're relieved.

10. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Great news, Write. Happy for you.

11. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

NICE!!!!

12. snuffy2

snuffy2 Member

Your post is obviously future law enforcement cover for when you plastic wire tie your cat's neck and throw him into your lawn shed and actually marvel at 'Thumper's' vitality as he thumped against the metal walls for what will seem like minutes while you walked back up the grass hill to tend to the remaining chicken parts on the grill.

Draft saved Draft deleted