1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My cat ran away...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MrWrite, May 15, 2008.

1. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

Around 3 a.m., I opened the door, and my cat -- who has never been outside on his own -- bolted out the door of my townhouse, down the steps and off into the darkness. Doesn't help that he's a black cat. I looked around with a flashlight, calling his name, until i fell asleep outside in a chair around 5. Got up again at 6:45 and went on another hunt through the (rainy) daylight. Nothing.

We've left his food and favorite toy outside, as well as my shoes (he loves to smell shoes) but there's no sign of him. I should mention that he has been acting weird the last week, sniffing around the door, being generally hyper around the house in short bursts --- and yes, he's neutered, so i don't think he's out after some ass, but you never know.

So my question to the cat-loving SportsJournalists.com contingent -- has anyone ever had a cat suddenly bolt like this? Is it possible that despite being neutered he smells a cat in heat or something? Anyone have any advice or uplifting stories about the cat who despite being naive in the ways of the world and wandering a complex in which every townhouse looks identical, somehow came home?

We're heartbroken, but holding out hope. It gets harder every minute.

Thanks for indulging my lengthy post....

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

As a long time cat lover, I wish I had answers, but you have my best wishes. No matter how little comfort that provides.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The Big Ragu scoffs at this line.

4. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

thanks, f_t.

I guess all I can do now is wait with the door open and call his name occasionally (which, incidentally, is Charles Barkley, leading to me getting strange looks as i roam the neighborhood calling it).

(and no that's not him under my screen name, just a random lolcat)

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I'm sorry, but I had to laugh at that. That's quality stuff.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sorry about your cat, Mr. Write.

Maybe he was picked up by one of Steve Wynn's goons looking for the other Charles Barkley who owes them 400 large.

I bet he's back soon.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Growing up, our family's cat was declawed almost as soon as we got her, but she always got out and sometimes disappeared for a day or two. She lived to be 15.

Cats are smarter than we give them credit for. All the houses may look alike, but he'll recognize the smell of yours. My fingers are crossed for you. I'm thankful every day that our younger cat could care less about the outside world while our older cat is a scaredy cat who used to bolt out of our old apartment and promptly cower on the ground, crying, until one of us picked him up.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That describes a couple of our posters here, too.

9. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I'm sorry to hear that MrWrite. Hopefully he returns soon, safe & sound.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

You should see me when I try to talk hoops on my alma mater's message board.

I cower and whimper until my wife steers me back here.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Mr. Write, first of all, I'm terribly sorry to hear this. I know how panicked and upset you must feel. My mother has called me in tears to the point I can't understand her the two times her baby has gotten out.

He's always come home, or has at least stayed in the neighborhood. My dad actually drove around the next day the first time and he was lying on the porch of a house on the road behind theirs. My dad just pulled in the driveway, got out, scooped him up and took him home.

The fact it's raining, or was, will mean he likely won't just be hanging out on anyone's porch. But I'd be willing to bet he hasn't gone far. Just keep your eyes out, keep looking, and give him hugs when he gets home from his adventure.

And keep an eye out every time you open your door. :)

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I had a outdoors cat growing up that would sometimes take off for a day or two at a time, but she always came back. Then one day she was gone for good. We searched and put up fliers and all that, to no avail.

About a year later, we were pulling into my grandmother's driveway and saw a cat. Looked an awful lot like the one we lost. After a few calls, she came over and, indeed, it was our cat, Midnight.

My grandmother lived about 10 or 15 miles from my parents' house. Our cat had never been there before in her life. It's the damndest thing that we found her there. Unbelievable, really.

Hopefully you'll get a happy ending, too. And if not, a happy ending at the local massage parlor might cheer you up. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted