1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My car is toast ... now what?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Jun 8, 2011.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

So, last year, I refinanced my Mustang to purchase a 2001 Honda Civic for my now-ex fiancee (it's been a fairly amicable split). During the split, I agreed to let her use the Civic until her dad fixed an old car of his. Well, two days before his car was due to get out of the shop, she had a seizure while driving to a doctor's appointment and crashed.

No one was hurt, thankfully, but the body shop tells me it'll cost me $3,500 to $4,000 to fix because the chassis is bent. He also said there is a danger that in straightening the rail, it will tear or break, and thus cost me about $1,500 to NOT fix it. He seemed to think the chances of the "pull" working are slim.

Car is worth about $6,000, but after the accident, I'd probably only get about $5,000 to $5,500 for it. The kicker is, I was dumb enough not to have collision on it, so I've got no insurance to cover the vehicle (her hospital bills and the property damage are covered).

So, basically, the car is toast.

Now I have to decide what to do with it so I don't get completely raked over the coals and lose all of my $6,500 (for reasons I won't go into, there's no shot in hell she can pay me off for the car).

If I junk it, I'll get about $500. If I try to sell it whole, there's a chance I can get $2,000 (maybe $3,000 if I get really lucky). If I sell the parts individually, I'm sure I can get $3,000, maybe even as much as $6,000 (the doors alone will go for $300 to $400 each according to the shop, and the mechanical parts are all great as is most of the body), but it's a much bigger hassle.

Anybody ever go through something like this? Any advice? Anybody looking to buy a 2001 Honda Civic for its parts? :)

2. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

My 04 sentra just threw a rod after 250,000 miles. I could have sold it for parts, but you have to find buyers.

Maybe eBay?

I ended up junking mine. Got 600 bucks at junkmycar.com.

The used car market SUCKS right now.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

yeah, def ... I was thinking of putting the parts on craigslist ... problem with eBay is I'm not handy enough to take the mechanical stuff apart myself and shipping an engine, for instance, isn't really an option for me. I'd basically need people who want stuff to come and take it off themselves.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If your area has more than one junkyard, see what they will offer. If you KNOW that people will want parts, check with them to see what is wanted.

An '01 Civic is a common car, and the fact that many people keep Hondas long-term could be to your benefit. For some of them, much easier to spend a couple hundred dollars to keep their Civic going a while longer than deal with either Leisure Suit Larry at the used lot or another slick-wannabe guy at the dealership.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Are you sure the problem isn't just something transmissiony?

6. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I'd at least try. Honda engines run for ever. If you're strapped for cash, junk it. If not, put it in the swap sheet and Craig's List for a month and see what happens. If not, you're out a few more bucks. If you get a bite, it might be worth it.

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

does that matter when the body damage is 3k or am i missing something?

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You're missing something.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/82939/

Let the joy just wash over you.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I can't believe smallpotatoes hasn't posted on this thread.

10. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Your '04 has 250,000 miles? Jesus, what kind of a commute do you have? My '04 Accord has 86,000.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm kind of surprised he didn't start the thread.

12. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Gator,

Commute used to be 130 daily. Not to mention I live in the middle of nowhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted