1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Boss Screamed at Me Tonight

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NightOwl, May 29, 2008.

1. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I'm thinking your previous advice about cooling down and thinking differently in the morning should have applied to ever making the initial post. Any coworker (or boss) who visits here would be able to connect the dots pretty easily.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I don't tolerate people yelling at me in the workplace. Scolding in a level but harsh tone or an e-mail is fine, we all deserve it from time to time. But actual yelling, that crosses a line in my book. If you came home from work and your neighbor started yelling at you and wouldn't stop you'd call the police. Yet at work, if it's a manager yelling at a subordinate, many times it's accepted. Horseshit. It's abuse.

EDIT: And yeah, you might wanna change some, or you know, all of the details in that post that ties you to, well, you.

3. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

Thanks, BYM. Nobody should be allowed to scream at you.
    They couldn't do my job, and yet they wanna scream at me to do it faster.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

So, um, who won?

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I've seen somebody walk right on the spot during a similar incident, fuck this, fuck you, I'm out of here, the offending Yosemite Sam sitting there agape. And every person on that desk wished it was them heading out the door.

No one is paid well enough to deal with that.

6. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

Exactly. We had one woman do it last week. And she was damn good.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

That was my 2,000'th post? I wasted my 2,000th post on this? And I only cursed once in that post for God's sake. At least my 1,999th post had "motherfucker" in it. Dammit....

8. Screaming at me or threatening my job always has the opposite effect on me than what is intended. I tend to freeze what I'm doing out of anger. It's not a calculated move, it's just how I am.

You want me to work harder/faster/better than the 100 percent I'm already giving you? Then encourage me. I'll go through a fucking wall for a little appreciation. That's what drives me. Hell, even a little passive-aggressive "that's good but you can do better" goes a long way.

Tell me my job is on the line - I'll be tempted to tell you to take the damn job.

I don't know why more managers don't understand this. Of course, many of them are driven by the fear of losing their job. That's no way to live or work. I do this out of pride.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Alicia: People take us with a grain of salt. We'll run the right story tomorrow.
    Henry: No! Not tomorrow! Now!!! RIGHT FUCKING NOW!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. I once had a boss tell me, "Work like you have a gun pointed at your head."

I remember thinking, "You mean do the bare minimum while I figure out a way to grab the gun and turn it on you?"

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

A. Night Owl, I do both. So please don't tell me I wouldn't get what you go through.

B. Our first edition regularly goes out without being proofed properly, and we're a large paper.

C. You could have made your point in your first story without ripping your bosses specifically.

12. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

Thanks, WB.

I drive hard and fast, also.
    Always some fat asshole in an office thinking I can drive harder and faster.

Draft saved Draft deleted