1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Boss Screamed at Me Tonight

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NightOwl, May 29, 2008.

1. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

My boss lost her cool tonight, screaming at me when the writer's story came in way late (14-inning game), and I had two minutes, literally, to turn it around for print, write a hed and also write two cutlines.

I did everything well, under the circumstances. The game ran way late, and it's a miracle that it got into the paper. But it did.

But my boss bitched me all the way. She was screaming at me while I was just working the story hard on deadline.

I did my job. I did it well. I did everything I know how to do. But the game went late, and the writer filed late, and I turned it around in four minutes anyway.

And then I get this asshole screaming at me because she's trying to protect her own record or agenda or whatever, and I'm just trying to get a correct story in the paper. I made the deadline. I made it work out right. And she's screaming at me anyway.

My managing editor was a total bitch tonight. And she fucked us badly, since she doesn't know squat about sports anyway.

I'd like your comments. I'm leaving this bullshit business as soon as I can.

All the managers in my place are total fucking assholes, and you can quote me on that one.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This thread, and by extension your employment, will not end well.

3. Did you say anything?

4. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Seems like you did the right thing. You went as fast as you can, you were thorough about it and you got out on deadline.

But I wouldn't put so many details in it. You never know who could be reading, after all.

Just my $0.02.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Better that he vent here instead of snapping at the boss, a mistake I've made in the past.

Night, cool down a bit. Drink some beer. You'll look at the incident differently in the morning -- not saying you'll look at it in a positive light, mind you. But allow yourself some separation from the office, at least for the evening.

And drink some more beer.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

wick, a fine thought.

But do you really think there are that many guys out there who had this exact experience tonight. Exact? Two minutes? 14-inning game?

To say every manager at your shop is a "total fucking asshole" is not a good idea in any way, shape or form. Anyone traces this to him, he's on his ass tomorrow.

It's happened on here more than once.

7. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

I don't care anymore.

This business is fucked up.

No one cares about the editors anymore.

8. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

IJAG, are you a writer or a desker?
    You wouldn't believe the bullshit we go through every night on the desk.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

You are right. There were specific details in there.

Just saying, it's better to go off here than advance the fighting in the office.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

True, but, "Hey, motherfucker, you screaming in my ear isn't making work any faster," might have induced a case of bit-lip syndrome.

Believe it or not, this has actually worked for me.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Hey, if you still get to cash a check the next week, more power to you.

12. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

I didn't fight in the office, thank god for that.

but my boss told me to just print it, and who cares if it's wrong for the first edition.

I thought she was wrong, because we are supposed to always get it right.

She didn't care about that, and now the readers get a fucked-up newspaper in the first edtion.

I think that's pretty pussy myself.

Draft saved Draft deleted