1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My book - The Making of Slap Shot

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, May 12, 2010.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

I don't even know if I'm supposed to hire my own publicist, or rely on them for that service. If I have to get my own, you're on the short list.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

"Fuckin' Chrysler plant here I come" woulda been a great title too.

Looking forward to reading it - while enjoying a lovely lukewarm 50 - and the sequels about the making of Slap Shot II and III!

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

What about me?

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

You guys could be a tag team - JR starts with the fancy footwork like we witnessed at the Blue Goose, then you come in and power-bomb everybody as if they were Canadian Tire pitchmen. ;)

There will be no book about the makings of Slap Shot 2 and 3.....but maybe "Youngblood".....yeah, that's the ticket......

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

No, it's their job.

Like I said at the Goose, at some point during the early summer, request a meeting and go talk to them about their plans for the book.

You have to make sure they understand that you are not going away and that you'll do whatever it takes to promote the book.

Buzz is going to sell this book and you can generate a lot of buzz without a lot of money.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Typically, it's their job, JJ, unless they sub it out to folks like us. Given the contraction in the publishing industry, this is happening more and more. Last fall, we worked on Sports Illustrated's "The Golf Book", and have done several others, including Mark Frost's "Game Six."

And JR, LOVE the glasses idea!

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

swenk has suggested the glasses idea too. I really like it.

8. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

Congrats, JJ. Can't wait to read it. All the talk about the Chiefs' recent financial woes here in western Pennsylvania helped to stir my interest in the movie again. I can't even imagine how much fun this project must have been to work on, let alone write.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

It was a ton of fun. Tracking down cast members, extras, etc., that was a blast. The most gratifying thing was how everyone I talked with was so open about their experiences and about their fondness for the movie. I came to understand that it was a very, very special time for all who were involved.

As much as we fans love the film, well, it means just as much to the people who made it. And realizing that was a huge thing for me.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

NO OUTI — er, too late.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Double J

Double J Active Member

I said it was cool, and it is. 8)

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

At least Wiley Canada has a history of hockey books so it's not going to be an orphan in the midst of all their Dummies titles. Isn't it Wiley who's doing the book by Damien Cox and our FoF on OV?

The former Pages bookstore did a "Hockey Night in Toronto" when Gare's scouting book came out. Stephen Brunt was there with his Bobby Orr book. Wiley should phone Ian at Different Drummer Books (my old store) in Burlington. They run a series of author breakfasts and evening readings. He might be interested in doing something or get Wiley to pitch a whole evening of their hockey books. It's a good book market out there. Lots of money

This is a publicity driven book. "Off the Record", Bob McCown, That's Hockey, the noon Sportsnet show are musts. Of course you can do the whole country on radio from the comfort of your barn in Owen Sound. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted