1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My AC problem - am I nuts here?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, May 5, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

So the AC is on the fritz and we call the guy. Again. I hate this heat pump. Never seems to work right.
    He comes out and tells me this part I can't pronounce is fritzed out. Has to be replaced. The heat works fine. The unit works fine. This piece, as I understand it, facilitates the switch from heat to cool.
    700 bills I'm told.
    Check the warranty, I say. Nope, this part is three years (unit is four years old).
    Well, hell, I have to suck it up.

He orders the part, puts the unit back together and then comes in and tells me I was right! The part IS under warranty. Sweet, I think. Free repair.

Nope. I'll save 150. The PART is free. I still have to pay labor and pay for coolant.

Interesting. If the freaking part doesn't break, I don't need the labor or the coolant. So why do I have to pay for it when the part does break?

Still waiting on that answer but I'm not out of line on this. Am I?

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Re: My AC problem - and I nuts here?

Warranty usually doesn't cover labor. Especially if the guy who fixed it isn't the guy who installed it.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

yeah, get a grip. warranty covers the part. not the installation. nothing new here.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I always considered a "bill" to be a hundred bucks. So you're saying this was a $70,000 fix? :)

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Moddy ships in air from Antarctica now that he's living on Fanhouse wages. It gets expensive to maintain.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Get a grip? I have a fine grip, thanks. Not going nuts. I was just asking.

I'm better on paying for labor than I am the coolant.

Though I still say if the warranteed part doesn't break, there's no need to have a new one installed. My guarantee is worth about 20 percent of the cost here, which doesn't seem that great.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It really depends on the item and the manufacturer's policy.

I do some warrantee work. When I do, I prefer to have a work order from the manufacturer. That way, I bill them.

There are instances when just the part is under warrantee. That's a pain in the ass, because I usually have to send the bad part back for credit.

But somebody has to pay the guy, and if it's not the manufacturer, it's going to be you.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Moddy, you should have PMed me. I know a ton of guys that do this on the side and they would not have charged you $550 for this.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

HVAC companies are rackets.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yes, you and nuts here

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

My dilemma when in AC is whether to drink at the Irish Pub or the Chelsea.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

A trip to the Borgata may very well be in my near future.

Draft saved Draft deleted