1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MVP discussions

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by casty33, Nov 17, 2006.

1. XXXX

XXXX Member

wow kind of like your disregard for ryan zimmerman's defense in the rookie of the year debate.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

We went through this in the jessica Biel thread, but Jeter should win by a nose over Mauer having nothing to do with anything intangible. He was the best player in the league (the only other players to argue for are Dye, who missed the playoffs and Santana who depends on whether you prefer apples or oranges). Morneau was the leader in the clubhouse, but he stunk down the stretch, and wasn't nearly as good as the rest. I'd put him behing Thomas, and maybe even Hafner or Sizemore. Ortiz fell apart after his heart condition, when his team did. If he got credot for the big hits last year (as he should have, and did despite finishing 2nd), it costs him this year. Behind the pack.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Noooooooo.

I accounted for Zimmerman's defense.

And his purely mediocre offense for a corner position.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

NYY Post's George King is on the Jeter campaign trail:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11202006/sports/yankees/trophy_life_yankees_george_king.htm

5. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Lt. Columbo: How can I argue for Howard, you wondered. First of all, I'm not arguing. I don't feel that strongly. What I have said all along is that I could easily accept Howard or Pujols winning, that's all. I believe it will be Howard based on him winning the players' vote for something or other. People are in love with his numbers. Pujols is tremendous, and his team won its division, but did the Phillies not have a better record than the Cardinals? That can justify voting for Howard if you're looking for justification. And Howard had a very good September, when Utley went into a slump.

Again ... it's a close call. And if you're for Pujols, that's understandable. Either one of them winning is certainly justifiable. I don't envy the voters and am glad I no longer am an active member who might be asked to vote.

I see it as a close vote with Howard edging Pujols as the only two who get first-place votes. If you -- or anbody else -- see it the other way, vive la difference.

6. XXXX

XXXX Member

HOWARD IS THE MVP!!!!

suck on that Columbo! haha!

7. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Here's a question for after Jeter's win:

Ortiz has 40 more home runs and 40 more RBIs than Jeter. Since the writers love those Triple Crown stats -- why else would Howard have his first MVP right now? -- is that the biggest gap between the MVP and a non-winner in the history of the voting? It has to be close, although I imagine Larkin had a similar gap in his MVP year.

It just shows the criteria for this award varies depending on who people want to win in a given year.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

File under: Bear shits in woods.

Draft saved Draft deleted