1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MVP discussions

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by casty33, Nov 17, 2006.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

While I agree that Jeter does not deserve the award, Mauer, Morneau and Santana will all likely recieve votes, meaning none of them will win it.

It's Jeter and Pujols. Writers will hit .500.

2. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Mauer should win. He has no chance.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Please, jag, don't hit us with bullshit stats like OPS+ ... sabermasturbation.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

How about this: Any argument you can make for Jeter you can make for Mauer.

But I won't argue.

As jag said, he has no chance. Which is a shame.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Mauer:
    .347 13 HR, 84 RBI, 86 R, .429 OBP .507 SLG .936 OPS

Jeter:
    .343 14 HR, 97 RBI, 118 R, .417 OBP, .483 SLG, .900 OPS
    add 34 stolen bases.

Why should Mauer win?

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Because he did all that while catching?

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And he did it with Nick Punto hitting behind him, rather than one of the Yankees complement of Hall of Famers.

And he's better defensively at his position than Jeter is at his, to boot.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

"He did it while catching" is a bogus argument when you play in a climate controlled stadium, with a pinball machine-like turf that turns ground ball outs into doubles that roll to the wall, and you take 42 games off from catching. (Caught 120, DH 17, PH 2= 140 games)

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ask a catcher if it's a bogus argument anywhere.

The Yankees win the AL East without Jeter. The Twins don't sniff .500 without Mauer.

I understand you're the board's resident Mauer hater, but I think you've gotten a little carried away. You're dogging him in favor of a Yankee!!! :D :D :D

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'll note that you didn't address the fact that he compiled a higher batting average, on-base percentage, slugging percentage and OPS in a vastly inferior lineup.

And are you really arguing that his playing catcher can't be factored in beause he "only" caught 120 games?

Really?

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Mauer is 3rd in the MVP voting... on his own team!

If I had a vote, Morneau would be No. 1 ahead of Jeter and Dye.

Santana is No. 2 on the Twins, then you get to Mauer.

12. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

The Jeter worship, which was always ridiculous, has reached a new height of idiocy this year. The guy won the Hank Aaron award for being the best hitter in the AL. He didn't lead the league in any offensive category and was fourth on his OWN TEAM in OPS+. He was behind Alex Rodriguez -- the guy they want to run out of town.

Enough already.

Draft saved Draft deleted