1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MVP discussions

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by casty33, Nov 17, 2006.

1. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Since the two MVP awards are the only ones left, let's discuss. I have a feeling -- and I really can't say why -- Jeter will NOT win the AL award. I say Morneau wins, though I would expect a strong showing for Jermaine Dye as well. As I said, I don't know why I feel this but I just don't think Jeter has the votes.

As for the NL, it's really a tossup. I think Ryan Howard will win but I couldn't argue with Pujols. And they are the only two who should get first-place votes.

I'll be interested in other opinions.

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Pujols gets it in the NL because a) his team won its division and b) I think there's still some lingering voter remorse over past snubs.

Jeter had a Barry Larkin circa 1995 season, and no one else really stood out (not even Big Papi). In my mind, that makes him a consensus pick.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

If you want the player who was more responsible for his team making the postseason than anyone else, it's Pujols.

If you want the player who dominated in the final three weeks, as opposed to the other guy, who was just "good" while his team spit the bit, it's Oz picking Ramirez over Zimmerman Pujols.

If you want the better defensive player, it's Pujols.

If you read that Columbo is backing Pujols, it's Howard.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I say give it to Morneau over Jeter.

One thing I keep hearing about Jeter as a candidate is how he held the Yankees together when the other stars on the team were either hurt (Sheffield, Matsui) or struggling (Alex Rodriguez).

But you can counter that it was Morneau that got the Twins offense going. When he started hitting in May, that's when they started winning. And they kept on winning even after they lost Liriano.

And please save me the Captain Jeter garbage. A good team captain puts aside his personal feelnigs stands up for a teammate who is getting shredded by the media and the fans. He'll stand up for a cheat like Giambi, but not Rodriguez. Jeter had a great year as a player, but a lousy one as a captain.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

And that is why he shouldn't win it.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

As a Yankees fan I hope Jeter doesn't win it because then ARod will just feel worse about his life despite the fact he is a better player than Jeter.
    I really think Jermaine Dye should win it and I think he has a better chance than Morneau.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I wouldn't argue with Dye, although the way the White Sox crapped out at the end of the season really hurts his cause.

I gave Morneau the advantage over Dye because his team not only made the playoffs, but they did it by coming from far behind the White Sox to get in and eliminate Chicago.

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

ok, i'm a twins fan and even objectively i'd probably pick morneau over jeter. but this logic doesn't make much sense. he shouldn't win MVP because he didn't stick up for his teammate? since when is one of the criteria for MVP sticking up with your teammate. i think it's performance on the field, not off field stuff - although i can see where a player who had legal trouble might lose some votes.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You really can't argue with Howard or Pujols...

I would vote for Morneau or Dye ahead of Jeter, but I suspect Jeter will win...

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

If given a choice to start a team, I pick ARod first, Pujols second. Jeter is down, down, down on the list.

That said, Jeter helped keep the team together and provided excellent offensive numbers. Usually it's silly to ask if the Yankees win without anybody, but it's a good question this year.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I like Pujols in the NL. Not sure who in the AL, though ... I'm biased toward Dye because he is a former Royal, but I'm not sure whether he deserves it more than Morneau.

I just know I do NOT want to see Jeter win the award. He doesn't deserve it.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I hope Casty is right. I'd have a hard time putting Jeter fifth on my list, unless it was the list of all-time overrated players.

And as others have noted, it's going to be funny when his leadership is pegged as one of the reasons he's deserving of the award when he's done anything but lead that team.

Draft saved Draft deleted