1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mutiny In Iraq

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

" . . . but . . . but . . Sean said . . . "

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's hard to have a discussion with someone as willfully dense as Yawn.

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Don't mix my words Fenian. I said they'd sabotage the war for political gain.

And I think ANY LIBERAL or DEMOCRAT who supported stopping funding put the troops in harm's way, which includes death. That's not the way to end the war and it's not supporting troops on the ground.

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Same thing. Name a name.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You said they'd choose to let a million people die to make Bush politically vulnerable.

Which, to me, is a big waste of a million people.

6. Yawn

Yawn New Member

That's not the same as cheering. That would be demonstrative and it would be an obvious political risk. If there's one thing Democrats know about, it's the politics of word and action.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Now you've confused me.

Not meaning to call you a liar, by any means. I certainly wouldn't do that. But it doesn't quite add up. Your post said the story seemed a bit incomplete. If you read the story, you know the excerpt is incomplete, no?

But I still don't understand why you say units refusing missions is systematic. Have you read elsewhere these things are happening? I've read several stories on the manpower strain facing us now, but not mutiny.

And, we're probably talking about a handful of guys who were unstable, here. Not an entire platoon, which is (in the infantry) typically 44 men. This platoon didn't have a full compliment, I'm almost certain, and I have a hard time believing all of them just flat out refused to move.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

F_B noted the second story he posted - the DoD release on the sergeant's suicide - seemed incomplete. Which it is.

9. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

The DoD releases never indicate if a service member's death is a suicide. If it is, the release says "the incident is under investigation" or "the cause of death is under investigation" or something similarly vague.

The fourth and final piece of the series is up now:
    http://www.militarytimes.com/projects/flash/bloodbrothers/

10. Check it out.
    I said the official DoD report of McKinney's death seemed incomplete in the light of the AT series.
    Does anyone know if the AT qualifies for a Pulitzer? Because, if it does, the feature writing one for '07 is over, folks.

Draft saved Draft deleted