1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Must-visit U.S. cities

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 20, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

San Juan, Puerto Rico? It isn't?

2. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

I've been to Luckenbach. As of 15 yrs ago, there was absolutely nothing there but a gas station/general store. Great song, however. And the store proprietor made pretty good venison chili.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I've been to Galena. A stunningly beautiful spot in spring or fall. Problem is that it's so off the beaten path that unless you lived in area or had other business you would not likely get there. I was lucky to have some business in Dubuque and decided to drive via Galena.

Went to Grant's home and sat on porch looking down on town and Galena River.
    Could not help but think as Grant was sitting in same spot enjoying a cigar and a bourbon that the last thing he wanted to do was head on down the hill to train station
    and head off to fight The Confederates. I probably would have stayed on the porch smoking my cigar.

4. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Isn't that an amazing view? I love visiting. Was there in Dec. years ago and it was a perfect Christmas town as well. I would also suggest driving the Great River Road through Wisconsin along the Mississippi, without question one of the great drives you will ever take. You could either start or end your trip in Galena and kill two birds with one stone.

5. Boom_70

Absolutely. Stunning view. Like a story book. I bet that it was beautiful at Christmas.

I do want to get back there at some point unfortunately the business that I did in
    Dubuque no longer exists.

Interesting that both Grant and Lee lived in pre war houses up on a hill with stunning views. Grant got to go back to his house and views. The US Govt took Lee's homestead and turned it into Arlington National Cemetery.

6. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

There's this town about 25 minutes away from the Grand Canyon called Williams, Arizona. Route 66 town at its finest. Enjoyed the heck out of the evening we spent there after touring the GC, where I was kinda bummed to see national chain restaurants set up in the visitors arrival area.

Also, Winslow,Arizona was cool because you could stand on a corner and behind you is a wall size mural of a girl (my Lord) in a flatbed Ford coming down to take a look at you.

And kudos for the St. Augustine nods. Daytona Beach people make a day out of driving an hour north. Best bet is take A1A along the Atlantic Ocean for the scenic ride.

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Made it to St. Augustine last year. Fountain of Youth water tasted a little funky.

Not sure it did me much good either - I've gained 20 pounds since then.

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Can you tell me when Puerto Rico was granted statehood? It's a U.S. commonwealth, but it's not in the United States.

9. Boom_70

And it's not even a nice city outside of the weather.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't want to belabor this, but it is in the U.S. Its residents are U.S. citizens. The government provides services there. A passport is not required to travel.

As for statehood, you would also have to exempt Washington D.C.

11. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

That wasn't the Fountain of Youth, you numbskull!

That was the chocolate fountain at Golden Corral.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

If you visit Stephentown, be warned that llamas have the right of way.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10202756953392247

Draft saved Draft deleted