1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Must-visit U.S. cities

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Loved Monterey. Cambria was a cool little place too.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Great suggestions.

I don't think my wife would be much of a Vegas girl, though. She's not exactly a teetotaler, but she's close. She's pretty vice-free.

3. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Never had a bad time in Madison or Milwaukee.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Man I've have not been to Monterey since '67. Went to a concert up there before shipping
    off to Nam. Got to see The Who, Jimi Hendrix, The Animals , The Jefferson Airplane, and The
    Byrds amongst others.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

One day 35 years from now someone will say something along the same lines except the concert will've featured Bieber, Gaga, Miley, and the Drive-By Truckers.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yep. And say what you will about Wisconsin (such as the winters suck hard), but the civic pride up there has always impressed me. Wisconsinites love being in Wisconsin. Which I guess you have to because the winters suck so hard.

St. Augustine, Fla. Lived there for three years in the historic district, there's plenty of Oldest-City-in-America stuff, a few touristy things and a lot of good watering holes for a small town.

Santa Fe. I haven't been but my wife and others have said it's one of the best places they've ever visited.

7. doctorx

doctorx Member

St. Augustine, Fla.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Depends on what you're looking for.
    It's not deficient in the arts.

9. Gillette237

Gillette237 Member

My favorites include:

Seattle
    Portland (Oregon and Maine)
    Austin
    Boston
    Charleson, SC

10. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

I've done a bit of US travelling in recent years since my wife is the ME of a Canadian travel mag

Some thoughts on a few places, though I'm hardly an expert and keep in mind I'm easily impressed when I travel:

1. San Diego, fantastic. Great place to take your family. I've never seen weather like it before. My wife wants to go back to Coronado in the worst way. If we could pick a warm weather place to live it would probably be SD.
    2. Los Angeles - would go again in a second. Went by myself to do a story on seeing LA without a car. Stayed downtown and used transit to go to all the tourist places, even got to Venice Beach. Took the bus to Bukowski Court. Previously went as a family to Disney but loved our day trip from Anaheim to Universal much more.
    3. New York - no place like it that I've seen yet. My wife and I went without kids five years ago and constantly talk about taking them to see it for themselves. My jaw dropped as I looked out the window of our plane at the sheer magnitude of the place.
    4. Phoenix/Scottsdale - I can see why all the old Canadians spend winters there. Weather and golf, cleanliness and no crowds. Going back this winter for my first spring training.
    5. Sante Fe - another poster mentioned it and I have to agree. My wife and I went there about 15 years ago before kids. Drove through Taos and Sante Fe. Outstanding. Always talk about wanting to see it again.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The Wisconsin Dells is not to be missed if you want to go to ground zero of the tourist trap.

Machine Head likes this.
  12. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

A I think weren't mentioned, most on the smaller side:

Grand Rapids and Holland, Mich.
    Ithaca, N.Y.
    Lake Placid, N.Y.
    Lancaster, Pa.

Draft saved Draft deleted