1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Must-See TV

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SoSueMe, Nov 30, 2006.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Well, it's Thursday night, and there's a football game on television - if you get the NFL Network.

Watching PTI, I have to say I agree with Wilbon. The reason the NFL is a success (and in Canada, the reason the CFL still struggles) is because it's an event every single week.

Wilbon says putting games on Thursday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday is a bad thing. I agree.

I've always said the NFL is successful partly because it's one game a week. You can't miss it.

There's a reason NBC enjoyed success on Thursdays, and ABC enjoyed success on Firdays back in the day (Must-See TV and TGIF, respectively).

Games MUST mean something, and putting them on TV every single day makes them seem as if they have less worth. Not to mention, tonight's game is on a channel lots of people don't have access to (a la the NHL on OLN).

Opinions? Thoughts?

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Thursdays have long been associated with football. Not just Thanksgiving, either.

ESPN has had big ratings for its Thursday night games. Now that college (and prep) football is all but done, why shouldn't the NFL try to tap into what's already seen as a football night. They play Saturday games in December when the college season is done. Why should Thursdays be any different?

As far as the network, the owners are using the games to get cable providers to cave in. Insight Communications just caved, and I'd bet Time Warner will before the season's done. The NFL is not like any other pro sport. You really can't miss a game, and diehard fans will do what they can to make sure they see their team in action.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Gotta be Habs-Canes on Center Ice.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I'll stick with CSI tonight.

5. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

MAC Charmionship=Must see TV

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The NFL has been playing Thursday night games for years. Tell those clowns to shut up.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Just a thought, but with the flex-schedule for NBC, three games a week most of the time on Sunday afternoon and now late season Thursday and Saturday night games, most of which you would want to see, isn't this diluting the Sunday Ticket package? Unless you're a big fan of a team that doesn't play regularly in your area, I can't see why anyone would buy that now all the big games are flexed into primetime.

Draft saved Draft deleted