1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Must reads for the younger generation...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NQLBLQ, Jul 14, 2008.

1. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

Based on another thread, I thought I would start a "must read for the youts" thread. I searched through the archives on here and couldn't find one (if it's there, my apologies), so I figured I'd start one.

The idea is, add books you wish a young upstart would read or have already read by the time s/he's first day on the job. Or simply solid sports writing material.

"The Last of the Best" - Jim Murray
    "All Those Mornings... At The Post" - Shirley Povich

2. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Any Murray compilation is good. I recommend "The Great Ones," which featured most of his profiles. The Woody Hayes one is a hoot.

Red Smith on Baseball is another favorite. Sports Illustrated "Fifty Years of Great Writing."

3. Xodus

Xodus Member

I just read Death of a Racehorse by W.C. Heinz. That's one of the best pieces I've ever read.

4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

. . . the Intertubes.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"Run to Daylight" by Heinz. A little dated, but it shows very well how to let the subject (Lombardi) tell the story.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm being serious here...

Shooting from the Lip by Lupica - When you read it, you understand how he got where he did as quickly as he did, and it makes you realize what a freefall he's been in since...

7. "Pafko at the Wall" by Don Delillo

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Damn good call...

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Our boy Jones' piece in Esquire two months ago on the Indiana boy returned from Iraq.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Saddlebags

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The Good Stuff -- Joe Posnanski

12. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

"I'm sorry, did you say 'youts?'"
    "Yeah, the two youts."

Draft saved Draft deleted