1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Must-not-see TV: NBC to debut sitcom on outsourcing American jobs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Brad Guire, Sep 14, 2010.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Midseason doesn't mean they don't like the show or are burying it, I think. Haven't some stronger shows been midseason in recent years?

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I thought "Parks and Recreation" really improved last year. It was my favorite show on most Thursdays. But the ratings are abysmal. I'm glad NBC is giving it a midseason shot, because it makes more economic sense to cancel the show right now.

3. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

A mid-season debut isn't a bad thing. Seinfeld and Grey's Anatomy appeared for the first time ever as mid-season replacements.

But if a show that's already been on becomes a mid-season replacement, it's usually the kiss of death. I think the final season of the Drew Carey Show was made a mid-season replacement and that was only because the shows were already in the can and ABC had to put them on under contract.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I think the final TWO years of Drew Carey were burned off during a summer (want to say 2005).

Drew went from being the hottest star on ABC ("Whose Line Is It Anyway" was obiquitous--sp) to someone the network couldn't bury fast enough in the blink of an eye.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Some combination of Seinfeld/Cheers/Frasier, followed by ER. Your argument is invalid.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree on 1.
    As for B, I make it a general policy to assume that all shows are going to suck, regardless of who is in them, who is writing them or how good the previews look. Personally, I don't think any setting, premise or topic is taboo. 'MASH' was funny for two seasons, and that's a pretty grim setting for a comedy.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

You make a good point. I was thinking of strictly comedies, but I didn't specify that, so I'll concede that monster lineup to you.

You also win bonus points for not saying the word "Friends".

8. dooley_womack1

Well, only because Friends had a bunch of failed comedies follow it in the next half-hour slot.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Or, Cosby Show/Family Ties/Cheers/Whatever came after my bedtime was just as strong.

10. dooley_womack1

NYPD Blue did not start until midseason in the last few years of its run. Since cable became such a big deal, the networks started coming up with a better midseason strategy. Before cable, the networks would plan out the fall and summer seasons and the midseason would be the dumping ground. Now the summer is the dumping ground.

11. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Lost and 24 both started midseason but that was so they could run continuously through to the finale. Not sure if that's different or not.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Night Court

Draft saved Draft deleted