1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

must-have magazines

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jeff_Rake, Nov 18, 2006.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Barely Legal.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Car and Driver

3. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

4. Lots of good suggestions here. I've got to second The New Yorker..it is as good as it gets, in my opinion..but Harper's, Atlantic Monthly, Esquire all definitely worth your while..I would also strongly suggest The Economist. That's another powerhouse mag. Have gotten into Vanity Fair and GQ more recently, and they've got some great stuff, particularly VF with politics..

Stopped subscribing to Basketball Times a couple of years ago because the content was so dated by the time the magazine arrived, but I'm open to trying it again..Anybody recommend it?

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i'll add my vote for new yorker but with a caveat.

i consider myself an informed person and i'm interested in national and world politics. that said, i read magazines at night before i go to bed to relax and i don't want to read about the war on terror before i go to sleep.

i also never read their pop culture reviews. so although the war/terror/politics reporting is unparalleled in the new yorker, if you're not interested in it and don't want the pop reviews, there are weeks when there is almost nothing to read. but the quality of writing and reporting is so high that to me, it's still worth the price of a subscription even if i skim it half the time.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

FourFourTwo...a monthly British-based soccer mag which has some dynamite writing. It's like $39 a year.

7. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Leo - I love the movie reviews. In fact, they're the only ones I read. Strangely, i've found myself into their bird watching stories. Shit, they had a big piece on redwood trees in Cali a while back and I even read that!

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

AF, i can see where someone would love the movie reviews. you don't get that kind of analysis anywhere else online or in print. you can call me a simpleton but i don't like to think that hard about movies. same goes for when they run a 10,000 word profile of an artist or composer who peaked in the 1930s - i just don't care.

9. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

10. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Skinner: ... and this is Armen's copy of Swank.
    Homer: May I see your copy of Swank, Armen?
    Skinner: Yes you may.

11. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

What is Esquire like? I've only seen it once -- the one with Patrick Dempsey on the cover -- but didn't really get a sense of what there is to it, mostly because I flipped through it and didn't really read it.

12. JackS

JackS Member

I think Basketball Times is a bargain. With the April issue as an exception (when the tournament is over and none of it is in the magazine), I don't think it feels dated. It's all features and columns anyway, so you don't even have to read it immediately when it comes.

Draft saved Draft deleted