1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(Musically speaking) Worst comeback attempt ... ever?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Thinking about this today.
    Actually I had one of MC Hammer's comeback attempt songs (This is the Way We Roll) stuck in my head for the last several days.

Which artist or band made the worst comeback attempt ever?

There are some pretty good nominees.

MC Hammer: WTF: Pumps and a Bump?
    Bobby Brown: Whatever man... Whatever.
    Axel Rose and GnR... :'( What a shame.
    Duran Duran :'( The greatest 80s band ever couldn't make happen a decade later.
    Ozzy - How the hell does a Heavy Metal god sing a God Damn song about a (fat!) TV detective? This may qualify more as jumping the shark rather than a pathetic comeback attempt. Ozzy the last 20 years has sucked worse Kenny G,
    Donny Osmond: Soldier of Love. OK, actually I liked the song and thought Donny boy did right. But It's still Donny Osmond.

Thoughts?
    Discussion?
    Stories?
    Pictures?

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Re: (Musically speaking) Worst comeback attempt ... ever!

Axl and the people he falsely identifies as Guns 'n' Roses actually have some new music that stands up pretty well. It's just that they can't get the damn recording put together.

Ozzy singing Perry Mason . . . . it's different, to be sure. Dude can only sing about Satan for so long, and the guitar isn't bad. Fact is, he hasn't needed a comeback in nearly two decades. Blizzard of Ozz was a comeback after Sabbath unceremoniously booted him, and No More Tears was a sort-of comeback (more a return to form and a modernization of his sound) after some dismal late-1980s efforts.

I would nominate Metallica with St. Anger as a botched comeback. The subsequent tour was great, but the album . . . too much riff masturbation with not enough style and logic to song structure.

3. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

St. Anger was horrible.

I enjoyed Duran Duran in '93. "Ordinary World" is one of my all-time favorite songs. (Says a lot for me!) "Come Undone" is pretty good too.

4. Re: (Musically speaking) Worst comeback attempt ... ever!

I loved Duran Duran's 1993 comeback, but it stopped. Why?
    Their stuff was good, but what happened?

As for Ozzy,
    His comeback from Sabbath was successful- thanks in part to Randy Rhodes - but his attempt at a hit the last few years (this is what I am talking about) has simply sucked (see Perry Mason). I think anymore, any songs by Ozzy are getting play simply because Ozzy sings them.

I'm ashamed to say I haven't listend to any of the retool GnR stuff.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Not the worst, but I honestly that I cannot turn the station when pseudo-Journey's Feeling That Way comes on the radio.

Any concert on HDNet. Why a 50-something will agree to be filmed in high-def is beyond me.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Second on St. Anger being dreadful.

7. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

David Hasselhoff. Oy!

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Britney Spears is shaping up to be the worst ever...

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

For those of you planning to see Van Halen again, argueably the greatest rock band of the 80s, you might need to watch this before hitting Ticketmaster.com.

My God how the mighty have fallen.

Diamond Dave is shockingly awful.

10. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Vanilla Ice.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Do Survivor's appearances in the Starbucks ads a few years back count as a comeback attempt?

12. Mira

Mira Member

Johnny Lydon.

How can you follow up the Sex Pistols? He is arrogant and PiL sucked.

Draft saved Draft deleted