1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Musical Insturments/Languages Question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cansportschick, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Das Saxophon.

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

German sax? For some reason, I'm imagining weird songs from a Bertholt Brecht play.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I forgot the foreign language component.
    I speak enough Spanish to make myself understood, barely.
    I know a handful of phrases in Gaelic and Chamorro.
    I've forgotten almost all of my high school Latin.

4. Just4Fun

Just4Fun Guest

Played trombone when I was very young, but gave it up quickly.

Can play a little bit on the piano and I recently bought an acoustic guitar because I finally decided it was time to learn how to play and graduate from being a great "air" guitar player.

Languages: English, some Spanish and some Italian.

5. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Trumpet and Piano. I also sing, which I consider an instrument, but many don't.

I speak English, read and write Latin, and perform music. Music is a language all of it's own, in my opinion.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Re: Musical Instruments/Languages Question

Guitar (took first lesson at age 39 (nearly 8 years ago) and stuck with it). Got to experience playing on stage in a band a few times. Now I just play what I want to play on my couch or out by the lake I live on.

Language? Two Spanish freshman and sophomore years of HS. Took a year in college, trying to get the back-credits by taking third-year Spanish but forgot too much because the two years of HS Spanish were six years before and I didn't get the required B grade (got a C) to get the extra eight back credits. That was 25 years ago. I remember a lot of the words but really can't be very conversational.

7. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Trumpet and very knowledgable in spanish

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Instruments: Piccolo, flute and piano (the last one kinda badly)
    Languages: English and profanity. Also agree with spup that music is its own language.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I used to be fluent in French, but have used it so rarely in the last 10 years. Funny that you started this thread -- last night, I pulled out a French grammar book and started doing some of the exercises in it. I was planning to do another 30 minutes or so of them tonight, too.

I also took 3 years of Spanish in high school and can understand it pretty well. I can't really speak it or write it, though.

10. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

Piano (self taught after a couple years of lessons - I reach a point where my technique breaks down,but I can sightread really well) and sing in a classical/opera style. Doesn't work so well for your typical American Idol generation, but can be very impressive if busted out at the right time.

I can read German and Latin outloud and pronounce them correctly but not really understand them.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

No instruments. I'm tone deaf.

Used to be pretty much fluent in French and German but haven't used either in a long time.

I also spoke Swiss German which sounds like someone hocking up a continuous loogiie.

I'll get HC on here. She plays about a dozen instruments.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't play music much anymore, but when I was young I discovered I can play pretty much any instrument by ear. I play piano pretty well. I read music and can play by ear. I play drums pretty well--played growing up. I can play rhythm guitar, but not very well. By ear, I can play any four-stringed instrument (violin, bass, etc.) and three-valve (trumpet, tuba, etc.) well enough to fool people.

Draft saved Draft deleted