1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Musical Insturments/Languages Question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cansportschick, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Since there are so many diverse backgrounds, I thought that I would pose two questions of interest:

1) (not joking, serously) does anyone play musical instruments and what do you play?
    2) What languages do you speak, or are you proficient in (verbal/writing)?

I'll start off...

Instruments: I play piano, harpsichord.
    Languages: proficency in French, English, Hindi, some Arabic/Lebanese, Spanish
    (going to start learning Italian and German fingers crossed in the fall)

ps. I can teach you swear words in different languages for $20 bucks CDN funds per word. ;) ;D

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Whaaaat? Canadian money ain't worth shi ... Oh, wait. Dammit!

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Harpsichord? Very cool.

Am comfortable playing anything with strings; have played violin, viola, cello, bass and guitar in public at various points in my life. Have played mandolin at family gatherings.

Languages: Spanish, some French, Danish, Norwegian.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I can swear just fine in Canadian, thank you very much. :)

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Instruments: I played baritone, trombone (passably), tuba (decently) and trumpet (badly).

Languages: English, Navy and I know how to say a couple of phrases in Russian (especially if I'm asking for a cigarette).

6. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Especially but not exclusively? Naughty, naughty.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

BWUHAHAHAHAHA!

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Are we putting together a foreign-language musical act?
    I play guitar, although not was oftne, and therfore not as well, as I used to.
    I used to play bass and banjo. I'm sure I could still do a little with the bass. Banjo would tkae me a while to get the hang of again.
    I took some piano lessons back in high school, and I used to be able to fake it enough for garage bands, but probably not so much these days.
    I used to read music, if it was fairly simple, but it took me a long time. These days, I doubt I could decipher it.

9. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I play the piano, baritone sax, baritone horn (in college) and drums.

I can have conversational Italian, but it's not as strong as it once was.

10. rallen13

rallen13 Member

Baritone Horn, tuba, french horn, trumpet, a bit of trombone, and percussion, mainly tympani (or kettle drums, if you will), a little (very little) guitar and can play piano very slowly. No languages with fluency, but won't starve in Spanish, German or Italian.

11. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I play flute, piccolo, clarinet, bass clarinet, percussion, a bit of piano and once things settle down, I'll get back to teaching myself to play guitar.

Language? English (although I'm sure there are those who would question that), German and used to be able to speak some Czech, but I've forgotten a lot of it now.

12. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I'm lousy at both Spanish and the saxophone. Doesn't stop me from trying, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted