1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Musical acts you love that you figure hardly anyone knows about

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by old_tony, Aug 9, 2016.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I was just curious if you've listened to any more off their new disc. If so, what you thought.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

I am having an absolute love affair with Sabaton, a Swedish metal band that sings (in English) songs about military history. I've listened to their most recent album, The Last Stand, about a dozen times in the past few weeks.

This is the song Lost Battalion, about some U.S. soldiers surrounded by Germans in the Argonne Forest during WWI:

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'm not a metal fan, but that is some pretty interesting stuff.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

There's a good chance you at least recognize Anna Nalick, since her one hit, "Breathe," was a pretty big hit. But she should be a lot bigger than a one-hit wonder.

Springsteen himself called her one of the great songwriters of her generation.

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

On our way to Nashville yesterday, my wife pulled out a CD of a guy I had completely forgotten about that fits this category: Michael Franti & Spearhead. If he ever comes to play a show near you, run, don't walk, to see this guy perform. One of the most entertaining shows you will ever see.

I Should Coco likes this.
  6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I'll second the recommendation for Franti. A little rock, a little reggae, a lot of fun.

Plus tons of 30- and 40-something women dancing!;)

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

He was on Bill Maher a couple of weeks back and seemed like a super interesting guy.

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Especially if you're at a festival setting outdoors on a warm afternoon/evening!

I Should Coco likes this.
  9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The Modern Lovers and Treat Her Right.

Jonathan Richman was The Modern Lovers pretty much, but the drummer ended up in The Cars and the keyboardist was part of The Talking Heads.

Treat Her Right was pretty much an earlier version of Morphine. There are two or three Treat Her Right songs Mark Sandman just slightly rewrote into Morphine songs.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Jerry Harrison was in that band and later the Talking Heads.
    And I love one of his solos tracks - 'Rev It Up'.

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Three years ago today exactly, the last Arcade Fire album dropped in the U.S.

12. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

And here in Rhode Island, after platinum albums and a Grammy, Arcade Fire is still a band nobody knows about.
    We just had a remains-of-Morphine show about six months ago at a small club in eastern Connecticut where a friend of mine runs an open mike night. Killed me to have to work that night.

Draft saved Draft deleted