1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MUSIC THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, May 4, 2006.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That's what people say. That's what people say.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Degenerate the faithful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ9r8LMU9bQ

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

If you're looking for something similar to Florence + the Machine to pass the time until they come out with a new album, check out the most recent album from Australian Kate Miller-Heidke, O Vertigo! I saw her four years back or so open for Ben Folds and she did more singer/songwriter stuff then. She has a strong voice, and has moved into more rock/pop stuff in the past few years. This is the song from her recent album that most made me think of FATM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NnMD4jrYwQ

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Happy NFL Week 1 opener eve, members and moderators.
    For FART, one of the greatest days of the year.
    Get down Saturday night.
    Let us have peace.

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

What I'm realizing is that I'm going to have a difficult time sorting the albums from this year into a coherent top 10 at the end of the year. I have a playlist of albums I like, and it now has 22 albums on it, with the most recent inclusions being the albums from Sinkane, Shovels & Rope, and Delta Spirit. One listen through Delta Spirit and I quite like it. If they're coming through your town on their tour, I highly recommend them. I saw them on their last tour and they put on a great show; same thing with Shovels & Rope.

But yeah, other than HEAL, which is the runaway number one for me at this point, finding a way to sort the rest of these solid, but often not great, albums will be tough.

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Absolutely loving the new song from Damien Rice: https://soundcloud.com/damienrice/my-favourite-faded-fantasy. It's a very slow build, but the flourishes at the end make the wait of the slow build worth it. It kind of reminds me of something Jeff Buckley could have done.

7. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

At this point, for my top 10 I'd go:

1. St. Vincent - St. Vincent
    2. Spoon - They Want My Soul
    3. Parquet Courts - Sunbathing Animal
    4. Real Estate - Atlas
    5. War on Drugs - Lost In The Dream
    6. Jack White - Lazaretto
    7. Shovels & Rope - Swimmin' Time
    8. Swans - To Be Kind
    9. Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks - Wig Out at Jagbags

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Wow, I gave the new Shovels & Rope one listen and pushed it aside. Usually I go back to bands I have previously liked, but it didn't capture me.

There is a Spoon side project called Split Second that's very good. Forget which guy did it. Also a duo called The Wind and The Wave that might have done what I wanted S&R to do.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

This year thus far doesn't even compare to 2013 or 2012. Even the Top 40 hits have been weak.

My top five at this moment:

1. St. Vincent, St. Vincent
    2. The Antlers, Familiars
    3. Real Estate, Atlas
    4. Mick Jenkins, The Waters
    5. Jenny Lewis, The Voyager

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

The top 40 hits are always weak. Actually, I don't dislike them as much this year as I have in past years. And I think this year is fine, especially in terms of solid to good albums. It just doesn't have as many really good to great albums, at least not yet.

My attempt at a top 10:

Strand of Oaks - HEAL
    St. Vincent - St. Vincent
    Jack White - Lazaretto
    First Aid Kit - Stay Gold
    La Roux - Trouble in Paradise
    Jenny Lewis - The Voyager
    Bleachers - Strange Desire
    Sharon Van Etten - Are We There
    The Hold Steady - Teeth Dreams
    Lykke Li - I Never Learn

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think my 25 favorite albums from last year would all crack my top five this year.

And I'll take "Blurred Lines and "Get Lucky" any day over "Fancy" and "Happy."

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

After Electric Lady at the top, I think last year and this year would be about even for me if I ranked a top 20. And agreed on Get Lucky, but I never liked Blurred Lines.

Draft saved Draft deleted