1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MUSIC THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, May 4, 2006.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I have Roseanne Cash - "Burn Down This Town " stuck in my head - bought the CD - Black Cadilac - not normaly country fan but like this.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Where does a book on tape post go- music thread or Book thread?

3. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

i have been listening to the new dresden dolls a lot -- "yes, virginia". piano, drums, bass ....a little girl powerish, a little agressive, a little tom waits-ish, lots of attitude.

also, i like the figurines' "skeleton". catchy, accessible danish rock.

talib kweli's "Right About Now: The Official Sucka Free CD" is pretty fun. a little uneven, but when it's good, it's really good.

the return of veteran indie rockers built to spill -- "you in reverse" --  is a smashing success. just great.

and ray davies' "other people's lives" is pretty damn good. some of the lyrics are silly, but overall i am pleasantly surprised by it. it rocks pretty hard (all things considered).

the fiery furnaces' "bitter tea" is just too weird for weirdness' sake. i think they have lost it.

my favorite record of the year so far is i love you but i've chosen darkness' "fear is on our side". i didn't love it at first, but i listen to it every day, over and over.

and if you like singer/songwriter stuff, josh rouse's "subtitulo" is magnificent.

tapes 'n' tapes -- the indie band of the moment -- has a pretty good record out called "the loon".

i also second how good rosanne cash's "black cadillac" really is, and gnarls barkley is indeed bad-ass.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

I've been listening to the new Ben Harper 2-disc album. Good stuff.

Tomorrow I shall devour the new Pearl Jam as I drive a couple of hours to cover a state playoff baseball game. I can't wait -- for the tunes, the games should suck.

5. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Fairport Convention - Liege and Lief : Unbelievably great, one of the best folk-rock albums I've ever heard.

The Byrds - Preflyte : A collection of demos predating the Mr. Tambourine Man album. They didn't really have their trademark 12 string guitar + harmonies sound down pat yet, but it's still really good. Includes the original version of "You Showed Me", which later became a hit for The Turtles.

Brief Candles - They Live We Sleep : A My Bloody Valentine style band from Milwaukee, the best song is a cover of A Flock of Seagulls' "Space Age Love Song". Pretty interesting.

6. Art_Vandalay

Art_Vandalay New Member

The new RHCP double CD comes out Tuesday, Stadium Arcadium is the album. Pretty excited for the album, although I have trouble trusting double album's, they rarely deliver. But the single, "Dani California" is pretty good.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I mentioned this on the Springsteen thread but his live two-CD Hammersmith Oden live album is a must.

Also highly recommended is the Old 97's new double live Alive and Wired. Even if it doesn't have the awersome "House That Used To Be".

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Big time yes on Built to Spill and Figurines. I'll have to check out the Talib. Big fan of his ...

I'm scared at how much I've started to like Coheed and Cambria and And You Will Know Us By the Trail Of The Dead.

9. abesimpson22

abesimpson22 Guest

I second the Ray Davies' nomination. There is some really fun listening on there, particularly "Life After Breakfast" and "All She Wrote."

Roseanne Cash's album is probably still the leader in the clubhouse on the year, but I'm surprised "Burn Down This Town" is the single. I thought it was one of the most pedestrian songs on the album (and I'm not trying to be the "The big hit was my least favorite song ..." office guy).

Top five in '06 so far:
    1. Roseanne Cash - "Black Cadillac"
    2. Hank III - "Straight to Hell"
    3. Drive-By Truckers - "Blessing and a Curse"
    4. Bruce Springsteen - "We Shall Overcome"
    5. Prince - "3121"

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

They have one great CD from a couple years ago, and their newest just came out: The Elms --

http://www.myspace.com/theelms

11. Chef

Chef Active Member

Listening to Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon..........and then listening to "Money" on the radio.......blasphemy that they started bleaping out "bullshit" about a year ago.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Are you watching the Wizard of Oz, too?

Draft saved Draft deleted