1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MUSIC THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, May 4, 2006.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yep, and the rest of the CD surprised me. All very good, and uses a lot of singers I like in other formats (Aloe Blacc, Audra Mae, Adam Lambert).

Blacc will be performing the National Anthem at Dodger Stadium before Game 5 of the NLCS.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It's here and it's fucking glorious.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

By what standard?

It's very good, but it's no Funeral.

After one listen, I'd say it's above Neon Bible but probably not above The Suburbs. It's a little bloated but very creative and interesting. There's a bit too much U2 in it for me.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

No question, this album is their Achtung Baby. Which, by the way, was an album I enjoyed.

5. godshammgod

godshammgod Member

I don't think they are ever going to top that. But, I tend to agree with your assessment.

I'm a little conflicted after hearing all the live versions, then hearing the studio versions. Some songs sound really flat. For example, Normal Person was great live-- energetic, great guitar sound. On the album, it's fairly muted.

That being said, it is very good. And, honestly, it's a direction they needed to go in, or risk really becoming stagnant. I read an article comparing it to Achtung Baby, Bowie's Ziggy Stardust, R.E.M.'s Monster, etc. Other albums where bands took on an "alternate persona." And, I think it's a fair comparison. Where do bands with a signature sound go after a career defining album (Suburbs wasn't their best, but because of the Grammys win, it's probably what many "casual" listeners know them for)?

It's a very good album, but not the best I've heard this year. Isbell is definitely up there, Muchacho by Phosphorescent, Kurt Vile's Wakin' on a Pretty Daze, and probably a few more I can't remember. I liked the National album (and I'm a huge National fan), but didn't love it...

Favorite song is Bugs Don't Buzz by Majical Cloudz, though it changes. Loved Song for Zula, Ya Hey, TV on the Radio's new single Mercy...the list goes on...

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

On my second listen, I found myself really, really loving "Awful Sound (Oh Eurydice)," and "Afterlife" already was my favorite on the album. The back third is really strong. The front half sounds a little too much like "What if U2 did disco and cut Bono for a less aggressively obnoxious singer?"

7. godshammgod

godshammgod Member

That's a great track. It reminds me of the Flaming Lips a bit, which is a very good thing.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

http://www.texasmonthly.com/story/70%E2%80%99s-show

A great oral history of outlaw country from Texas Monthly. I'm amazed I hadn't stumbled upon Willis Alan Ramsey before, but his album is fantastic.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I agree that the album hits its stride with Awful Sound (Oh Eurydice). My top four albums from the year to this point are (in order) Janelle Monae's Electric Lady, Kanye's Yeezus, Lorde's Pure Heroine, and Vampire Weekend's Modern Vampires of the City. I'll give Reflektor plenty more listens before placing it, but I'm guessing it'll be around 3rd or 4th.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

My faves in some order are Isbell's Southeastern, The Chrvches record and Yeezus. I need to check out this Janelle Monae. Lots of road time in the next few days, so I'll give it a listen. I like Lorde's album too.

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Monae's first major album (The ArchAndroid) was good, even very good in places. Electric Lady is incredible and gets better with each listen. I've probably listened to it about 15-20 times, and at this point only skip 2 of the 14 songs (not including the 2 Overtures and 3 Interludes). There are a good 5-6 songs that I love a lot.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

What songs do you skip?

My guesses are "Look Into My Eyes" and "It's Code," but I like those.

I don't skip songs unless they're bracingly bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted