1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MUSIC THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, May 4, 2006.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

At the request of several members, we are starting a sticky thread to do for music what we've done for books.
    Find an obscure CD that was great?
    This is the place.
    Stumble onto a new band?
    This is the place.

We'll see if this works, if there's interest like there is in the books thread. If not, we'll unstick it and let it fade away.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"Don't put another dime in the jukebox, I don't wanna hear that song no more."

3. Varla

Varla Member

Gnarls Barkey!

I was also able to get my hands on a demo put out by The Subways, which is really good.
    It sounds like it was recorded in a basement with this nice unpolished DYI feel to it.
    Preferred it to their major release.

In my CD player right now: Stars of CCTV by Hard-Fi.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I don't think Moddy intends for this thread to stop just yet. What do you mean by "end of thread"? This was not a contest.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

Does anyone know if Golden Smog are still making records, and are the albums other than "Down by the Old Mainstream" just as good?

6. Boom_70

Sorry buddy dyepack closed down the thread - move along.

7. abesimpson22

abesimpson22 Guest

New Springsteen - much more lively than I expected. I thought it'd be a bunch of dirges. Instead, it sounds like what the music my second-grade music singer castrated should sound like. Or, as Rolling Stone said, what the E-Street band would have sounded like in 1912.

Still, Mellencamp's similar project was even better.

8. Boom_70

do you sing dirges in the park or in the dark?

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The Stickmen — Funky Hayride

The greatest song by Philly's greatest band.

10. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

the album after that -- "weird tales" -- is an even better record. one of my faves of that era.

11. Boom_70

ok - its just that your tone sounded a little cocky.

12. Jones

Jones Active Member

Today's shame song: "Hate Me" by Blue October (the Texas rock band, not the British electronica group). I know I shouldn't like it, and by tomorrow morning I won't like it anymore, but right now, I'm finding it to be catchy in a driving-through-the-desert kind of way.

Draft saved Draft deleted