1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Music Thread (post a song)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

This song made a big impression on me when I was a teenager. The spare instrumentation and Morrison's stream-of-consciousness delivery just clicked.

2. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Huey Lewis was close with Lynott and has said in interviews that he did a lot to help HLN along.

garrow likes this.
  3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

My favorite baseball walk-up music.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The most unlikely song of any summer.

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Heard this song yesterday in a grocery store. Hadn't heard it ages and didn't recall who sang it. Catchy though.

6. Azyr

Azyr New Member

death/thrash/black

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Digging into the vinyl bin ... an all-time classic that came out 55 (!) years ago.

Couple things that stood out as I played Side One:

1. The Overture might be the best song on the whole album, just for Keith Moon's insane drum fills.
    2. It took me a long time to realize that "got a feeling 21 is going to be a good year ..." is a reference to the year (1921) rather than Mrs. Walker's age. The Capt. Walker didn't come home bit is supposed to be from World War I.
    3. Still think Tommy is one of the best album covers of all time, especially on vinyl, where the gatefold has three panels that open up. The band members' photos inside the grid is cool, too.

misterbc likes this.
  8. Twirling Time

My mom took me to see Tommy at a drive-in when I was too young to get it. I remember bits and pieces of it, such as Rex Beans and the pinball bits.

Here's the Rex Beans bit:

I Should Coco likes this.
  9. Twirling Time

Huey Lewis and Phil Lynott sounds about a likely a collaboration as Bruno Mars and James Hetfield.

10. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Few things are better than a banger of a protest song. Dave Hause has been my favorite artist for a while, but he originated out of his punk band, The Loved Ones. His take on the response to Hurricane Katrina is what smart rock and roll is all about. Try it:

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Archtype 80's.

12. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

Whilst in a Youtube wormhole, I came across a live hour of MTV from 1983. So naturally I jumped in.
    There's so many videos you forget about and this is one of them. Hadn't heard this song or saw this video since it was in semi-heavy rotation when I was 12 years old. At the time, it kind of creeped me out.
    Listening to it today, I was immediately drawn in by the "Tusk"/"Mirage"/solo Lindsey Buckingham mash-up in the song and the infectious guitar hook Buckingham created for it, but then as I watched the video, it dawned on me that Fleetwood was doing a Sergei Eisenstein "Ivan The Terrible II" tribute! I didn't know who Eisenstein was in 1983, much less have any knowledge of "Ivan", and I guarantee that 99.9% of the MTV audience didn't either and wouldn't now.
    Still, that's pretty cool in my book. Check it out.

Draft saved Draft deleted