1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Music Thread (post a song)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Jun 15, 2021.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Maybe an odd question, but is there a web-based radio station that plays what would pass for classic top 40 with a mix of the top pop, rock, R and B hits AND DJ interplay? Seems like there would be a place for it.

2. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

Jim Morrison, The Doors.

Twirling Time likes this.
  3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

That's not even my favorite song about digging, actually.

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I listen to public radio stations like WNCW, KEXP, KCSN, but none of them have what you are looking for exactly. I would try searching for public radio stations that play music and see if there is a match. Probably only a weekly show. Also just try podcast apps. I have found interesting shows on them, but not what you are looking for.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Peter Wolf from J. Geils.

Huggy likes this.
  7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Diamond Dave's bolting from VH actually seemed to work OK for all parties for a while; Hagar picked right up making hits with Eddie and the boys, and Dave scored a couple glam-hair metal hits with his first solo record out of the chutes.
    But they all got steamrolled by the rise of grunge in the early Nineties. Van Hagar kept hitting the charts, although at a much lower level than their Eighties heyday; Dave's solo career deflated like a whoopee cushion.

Last edited: May 25, 2024
    I Should Coco likes this.
  8. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

Here's a historical oddity. Gary Usher was a successful '60s surf music producer who became obsessed with a tune that a British band called The Ivy League had written. He tried to get folk duo Chad and Jeremy to record it but they refused. Undaunted, Usher recruited a team of session musicians including Glen Campbell, former Beach Boy Bruce Johnston and a sugar-rock producer named Curt Boettcher (The Association, Tommy Roe).
    The song was called "My World Fell Down." It had pretty good success in Chicagoland in the summer of 1967. Nationally it peaked at only #70 on Billboard, but I have always liked it for its offbeat production.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

On a lower level, Dave Alvin's departure from The Blasters.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I would argue – given decades of hindsight – that Hackett's departure was a bigger difference maker than Pete.

Yes, the music pubs initially thought Genesis was dead when Pete left. All the auditions, then settling for the short percussionist ... how did that end up working out?

No, the Phil-fronted group never duplicated what it did under Pete. But in the "Steve made a bigger difference than many might have realized" camp, take a look at the two albums made without Pete and still with Steve: "A Trick of the Tail" and "Wind and Wuthering." Two of the band's best – along with "Foxtrot," "Selling England by the Pound" and "Duke."

IMO, their sound and direction changed more with Steve's departure than with Pete's. They still did prog after Pete left. But some of the touches Steve left – listen to the first minute of "Blood on the Rooftops" and get to back to me on that one – were also missed. Or better yet, listen to Steve's first solo album "Voyage of the Acolyte." Someone once reviewed it and called it "the best album Genesis never made." Did a spit take ... but a correct assessment.

How about Yes and King Crimson without Bill Bruford, who funny enough, helped Genesis with touring on percussion initially after Pete left so that Phil could be up front without losing much in the rhythm section?

I Should Coco likes this.
  11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Discussions like these always remind me of the “Velvet Underground album” that was recorded entirely by Doug Yule after everyone else left.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Starman's a cop!

garrow and justgladtobehere like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted