1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Music Thread (post a song)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Jun 15, 2021.

1. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

Yessir. Great song. Shame 20/20 never broke big. They absolutely deserved to.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

She's never recorded this song. I think it's outstanding.

3. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

On a high from seeing Neil in concert (with Willie’s son).

I’ve always loved the mood in this performance.

Special nod to the late Ian Tyson, who wrote a song so great that Neil had to cover it.

Huggy likes this.
  4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I always thought Prince's "When You Were Mine" was the best Cars song Ric Ocasek never wrote. TIL I learned the great man covered my fave Cars song, "Let's Go":

Slacker, I Should Coco and Tighthead like this.
  5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Never heard that! That's pretty great.

My nominee for best Cars song not by The Cars:

(Felt kind of dumb when I saw the video and the whole thing clicked. Once you realize it's a Cars homage it's pretty obvious.)

Huggy likes this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Probably not worthy of a separate thread, but was the worst "departure" of a band member from a band - where the band was forever lesser because of it?

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I don't know if the band was lesser, but Peter Gabriel leaving Genesis?

I Should Coco likes this.
  8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

David Lee Roth is the obvious answer, but Bob Stinson getting kicked out of The Replacements was the biggest kick in the ass. I don't care how screwed up he was, his guitar was amazing.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Black Sabbath after Ozzy is an obvious one.

A not-so-obvious one: The Black Crowes without Steve Gorman.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

There are arguments to be made either way, but I don’t think the post-Gabriel band ever topped those early-1970s prog rock classics.

I also would argue Steve Hackett’s departure a few years later made a huge impact.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Oh, absolutely.

Post Gabriel Genesis was a solid rock slash pop-rock group, but there is no way I believe that they wouldn't have been a better, more interesting group had Gabriel (and Hackett, for that matter) stayed.

I Should Coco likes this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Never heard of this guy before today. An interesting voice, and he seems to hover over rock, country and blues, not so much a blend, but moving from genre to genre.

How he escaped the labels and all of the reality shows out there (well, I understand the look), but damn. PS - I KNOW I'm late to the party, but I never listen to music radio and if I hear "new music" it is likely on SNL or a TV commercial.

Last edited: May 23, 2024
Draft saved Draft deleted