1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Music association

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I think the first time I read the LOTR trilogy years ago, I was in the midst of listening to DMB's "Crash" album. The music went really well, and now they're sort of interchangeable in my mind.

2. Petrie

Petrie Guest

"You Can Do It" by Ice Cube reminds me of pretty much every college kegger I attended that had any room to dance. I couldn't dance a step back then (and still can't now), but when that came on I more than held my own.

3. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Tooo many to mention but:
    "14:59" by Sugar Ray reminds me of playing Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
    "Sex and Violence" by The Exploited reminds me of my first five minutes in college.
    "New Morning, Changing Weather" by The (International) Noise Conspiracy reminds me of cutting through a housing complex in an old route I used to run at 3 a.m.
    And generally every driving experience more than three hours has it's own musical trigger

4. dargan

dargan Active Member

Since others are referencing high school/teenage years, "Still Fly" by the Big Tymers was unofficially the song of our senior year.

Coolio's "Gangsta's Paradise" = sixth grade, first song I ever memorized.

Every time I hear "Melissa" by The Allman Brothers Band, I wish I dated a girl named Melissa.

Any Hank Williams Jr. song reminds me of college ... when I, the small-town kid, was stuck in an urban university and everybody thought I was a hick.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Whenever I hear Hocus Pocus by Focus, I think of a time when hearing it on the radio made a one-night stand and I giggle and realize it was time to sleep.

6. RossLT

RossLT Guest

The entire Outkast Aquemini album reminds me of long nights getting blazed, 3 a.m. trips to AM/PM, 40's of Old E and Wrestlemania2000 and Madden 98 on Nintendo 64.

Ah, good times

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet... but no one who has ever seen "Reservoir Dogs" will ever hear "Stuck in the Middle with You" the same way again.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

"Old Time Rock 'n' Roll" takes me back to senior year of high school. A group of seniors were gathered in a room at the high school planning our Christmas skit. We'd decided on doing "The Twelve Pains Of Christmas," and the guy who eventually became the class valedictorian played piano at our rehearsals.

One day, during a break in rehearsing, the guy looked at me, smiled and played the opening bars of "Old Time Rock 'n' Roll." Somehow, he knew I'd appreciate it. 8)

Every time I hear "Turn It On Again" by Genesis, I think back to the road trip I mentioned in the Song Memory thread. That song stayed in my head pretty much the entire time that day and didn't get out of my head until I went to bed that night.

And now I finally figured out what the connection was. "All I need is a TV show/That and the radio." The guys I traveled to New Jersey with worked at the campus's student-run radio station.

9. andrews_mom

andrews_mom New Member

"in your eyes" with John Cusack serenading with his radio in Say Anything. Such a chick flick!

10. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Front 242's "Front By Front" reminds me of sitting in my room and playing the original Final Fantasy until the sun came up. Good times. Good times.

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

The Pixies' "Where is My Mind" (you know, the end of "Fight Club"):
    Biggest scare I've ever had at a concert. Crammed show in a small college gym (between nights of opening for U2), and we're about 10 rows of humanity from the stage. When Joey Santiago hits the opening riff, mass moshing ensues, sending the shock wave up toward us, and these two 100-pound college girls are heaved with enough force to knock my 200-plus-pound self off balance and down. I had my hands up to give myself room to get up and didn't feel in danger, but Not Yet Mrs. T. was screaming like she was at the arena door for the Who in Cincinnati. I was more worried about getting secondary lung cancer the way Kim Deal chain-smoked the whole set (she stopped just long enough to sing "Gigantic").
    Then there were the party songs, the ones everyone got into a circle for and sang along, arm in arm, once intoxication had arrived. In high school (class of '80), it was Earth, Wind & Fire's "Reasons." In college, it was the Bob Marley & the Wailers live version of "No Woman No Cry." When I hear the Violent Femmes' "Kiss Off" and Arcade Fire's "Wake Up," I figure those were the '90s and '00s party singalongs.
    ETA: Almost any song that made the Top 40 in the summer of 1980 triggers a violent allergic reaction in me, thanks to having 92 PRO-FM jammed down my throat on the LOUDspeakers while working at the late Rocky Point.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Hells Bells takes me back to a high school football pep rally. The seniors did this skit where they brought out the opposing team's mascot and put it in a casket, playing the opening to that song. 'course, we got the shit kicked out of us in the game, but for high school football players, the pep rally was pretty good theatre.

Draft saved Draft deleted