1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mushnick to Morgan: Do you know what you are talking about?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 20, 2007.

1. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

If ESPN or the WWE would ever vanish, would Mushnick still have a job?

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Boots, we're journalists. We get worked up over botched headlines on page 11, typos, deadlines blown by two minutes and, go figure, flat-out errors from national broadcasters. If you want to defend Morgan, that's your right. But telling us we can't rip him for this -- on a %&^! anonymous message board -- is absurd.

I mean, seriously-- are we not allowed to criticize anything someone does that doesn't kill someone or adversely affect our life?

I don't respond to many of your posts directly, but this one just bugged me.

Carry on.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

See, I can give him a pass on the year. I gots no problem with him screwing up the date. He did have a late-season game-winning RBI against the Phillies in '63, not '64. Hey, it happens.

But I think it IS a problem that he goes on to attribute Mauch's "Little Leaguer" rant to being about himself, when it clearly was not, and he elevates his RBI to one that came during one of the most famous collapses in baseball history, when the Astros didn't even play the Phillies during that losing streak.

Screw up the date, fine. Insert yourself as the hero of a situation you weren't even involved in? That ain't right.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And yet, a vital part of the many-faceted personna...

5. boots

boots New Member

'
    Pointing out the error of Joe is one thing. Gang banging, like many love to do here, is another.
    Personally, I enjoy some aspects of Joe's commentating. I've heard better. I've heard worse. And over the years have heard worse mistakes made over the airwaves. This doesn't crack the top 10 in stuff I've heard and probably not the top 10 in what many others have heard.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

:-X

7. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Of course we have, boots But we don't go on national television and tell the story. And if we do, we check the facts, especially if our history is part of the national pasttime.

8. IU90

IU90 Member

I just glanced at their profiles, and even more telling is that stoob has like a 9.3 post per day average since joining the site and Zeke only around 7 posts per day. Yet, Stoob is on here ridiculing Zeke for supposedly being a lifeless bum who has no friends, does no exercise, etc., because he supposedly lives on the site all day.

Well, stoobie, the facts show you're on here posting more often than Zeke, so what does that make you? Aside from an obvious hypocrite, that is.

9. boots

boots New Member

I don't know who you are referring to. If it's me and it's not about Joe Morgan or Phil, send it in a PM. Otherwise, you are doing nothing but helping people pad posts as you like to say.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Of course it's not in the top 10. If this thread was "top 10 broadcasting gaffes", you'd have a point. That doesn't mean it's not fuel for discussion.

As for gang-banging, what's the number on that? How many people have to criticize a guy (again, for a factual error) for it to be piling on? I wouldn't say three pages is it for this board, and it's not even three pages completely against Morgan. And again, um, it is a message board. Someone points something out, another comments. Maybe even another after that.

11. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Boots: "I don't know what a false story is but I know what a mistake is. I'm willing to bet that Joe made an honest mistake. And the young yahoos who know every damn thing around here except how to piss without wetting themselves are jumping for joy because its feeding time and they've got something to rally around."

Bootsy my boy, if you live a whole lot longer you're gonna be in for a sad surprise. :-\

12. playthrough, if you don't like Boots' rules, then maybe you should ...

Oh wait, never mind.

Draft saved Draft deleted