1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mushnick to Morgan: Do you know what you are talking about?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 20, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

I don't know what a false story is but I know what a mistake is. I'm willing to bet that Joe made an honest mistake. And the young yahoos who know every damn thing around here except how to piss without wetting themselves are jumping for joy because its feeding time and they've got something to rally around.

2. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Morgan can't get facts about the teams that are playing correct, so why wouldn't he be just as careless about his own career?

This is more than an 'honest mistake.' It's somebody trying to make everything about him, as he always does.

That said, it's a lot tougher to lie about this stuff, at least in baseball, now that there's retrosheet and sabermetricians out there.

3. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Exactly.
    That "story" was about as well thought-out and researched as the rest of the crap Morgan spews on air.

Talk about coasting on your playing career. He comes on air like he hasn't seen either team play all year, nor has he even glanced at the multitude of research a big outfit like the WWL has no doubt painstakingly gathered for him.

I believe it's called "envoyer par la poste"

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Because Joe doesn't believe any of the fiddle-faddle numbers some research geek or pantywaist sabremetrician wants to throw at him, he knows how baseball ought to be played, and he knows how it was played, goddamn it. He's got the 15 World Series rings to prove it.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The skip on this phonograph record is getting really, really irritating to every listener in the vicinity.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Even as a Reds fanboy, I can't stand Morgan. He is indeed coasting. Read his chats on espn.com (and the hilarious takes at firejoemorgan.com), he answers most questions about players by saying "I haven't seen him play so I can't judge..." It's a crock. This "mixup" is a crock too. Mushnick, doing his job, accurately pointed it out. He didn't ask for Morgan's firing.

As for the argument that memory lapses over the decades are understandable...um, no. Not if you have a microphone in front of a national audience. If he wants to spew such junk to his grandkids, that's different.

7. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

There are ridiculous arguments made on this board every day, but I am completely baffled that anyone could possibly defend Morgan in this instance. Yes, I have messed up some details of stories before, including ones I was involved with. I have never told someone else's story as my own. Those are two different scenarios all together.

If Morgan's mind is that scrambled that he made this error, ESPN should take him off the air. When he places himself into someone else's story this blatantly, how can you not question his credibility when he tells stories about people?

8. boots

boots New Member

Big deal he made a mistake. Did anyone die? Did it affect your life? If Joe Morgan's mistake did either of those things, then you have a reason to be upset. If it didn't, move on. There are other things more important.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Like fictional stories of ass sex and sexual harassment claims?

10. boots

boots New Member

Zeke, this thread is about Joe Morgan. Not me and not my life. There were other threads about that.
    Do you know what the weather is outside? Do you have any friends? Do you exercise? I'm willing to bet, judging from the time that you spend on here the answer to all three is no.
    Do something positive with your life today. If trying to tear people down on an anonymous board constitutes a major portion of your day, I truly feel sorry for you.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Do I have any friends?

Well, I have this neighbor...

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted