1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mushnick on the NFL in Europe

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Oct 29, 2007.

1. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Learn something new everyday. I became a Dolphins fan because of Marino, but I've grown tired of the NFL altogether. Miami acting like the Bengals hasn't changed that at all.

I watch it on Sundays to fall asleep on the couch for a few hours.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I covered a D3 football game Saturday and every time there was a change of possession I was ready to kick back for a 2-minute break and instead realized I'd better lean forward in my chair quickly or I'd miss the next play.

For a second I missed TV timeouts. The other culture shock was finding out I couldn't write my story in the press box because they have that closed up pretty quickly after the game. Had to go to the SID's office to write and file. Still, an enjoyable assignment -- especially since said D3 school was my alma mater (graduated 24 years ago) so I got to go back and walk around the campus and town.

Small towns can change an awful lot in 24 years.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

So, did the British complain about the lack of scoring in this football game?

4. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

I'm sorry - you think the country that invented CRICKET is going to think the NFL moves too slowly?

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Jeff Haney, gambling columnist for the Las Vegas Sun, had a good piece about how hypocritical it is for the NFL to play in sports book-crazed London while avoiding all things Vegas over here.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/commentary/2007/oct/26/566625482.html

6. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Fair point.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hypocrites in the NFL???

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yes, that's why fans of chess are so violent as well.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

This from a guy who is a soccer fan.....

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

When was the last time you saw a soccer game take a tv timeout, and last over three hours?

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'll take squeezing 30 minutes of action in a 3-hour NFL game over squeezing 6 seconds of action into a 90-minute soccer game any day.

And this is coming from a former soccer player and coach. I had a blast playing it, but it's hard for me to watch it without losing interest.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You're obviously not watching the right leagues.

Back to the point in hand. Most of the NFL columns I saw, like Vecsey's in the NYT was overridingly positive about the possiblity of the NFL working in England and the rest of Europe, pointing out that the crowd at the game understood it well.

But I guess a clever one-liner about tv timeouts is good enough to imply that people haven't been following the game in England for over 20 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted