1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Musharraf out in Pakistan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Probably a good thing for Pakistan. From the sound of it, even his core constituency (the army) was tired of him:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/aug/18/pakistan

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Good for Pakistan. Likely bad for us, right?

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

It probably depends on who gets the nod, but given the current climate, whoever gets the gig will go to great pains not to look like an "American stooge." If it's not Nawaz Sharif, head of the Pakistan Muslim League and former PM, he'll at least have a lot to say in who takes the job.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Given that Musharraf's people have been doing jackshit about the al Qaeda presence in their country, this ought to be an upgrade opportunity.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Negative. The prevailing attitude is that al-Qaida can do what they want so long as they don't fuck shit up in Pakistan and cause problems in places like Islamabad. Musharraf siding with the US is one reason he's so unpopular. I'd look for just the opposite.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It's a good thing if, like so much of Pakistan, apparently, you think appeasement of al-Qaida is sound strategy. Despite all of his issues, Musharraf wasn't afraid to take unpopular positions.

8. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

I say Osama bin Laden. He's the most politically-proof person in the country. After all, he's made Slick Willie look like sandpaper the past seven years.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

He publicly sided with the US but his core supporters were so shot through with Al Qaida sympathy that nothing ever got accomplished in that area. And the new government seems to be more willing to take care of business.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/world/story/51415.html

This is a major point-of-view change for the Pakistani government and I suspect the CIA is happy to have some more cooperation.

10. we'll see if they actually go after these guys. talk is cheap.

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

It is, but I'm beginning to think that Musharraf's ouster will be a good thing for us.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Absolutely agree 2MCM. If this talk gets backed up, it will change the situation greatly.

Draft saved Draft deleted