1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MU's Gabbert Goes Pro/Year of the QB-- NFL Draft Thread 11

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: MU's Gabbert Goes Pro/Declaring for the NFL Draft Thread 11

Yeah, I follow the draft pretty closely and this is the first time I've seen Gabbert's name listed among the top quarterbacks. Maybe they just assumed he was coming back, but everything I've read has Luck being the first QB taken, followed by Mallett and Newton and then Locker.

Bowers from Clemson, Peterson from LSU, Dareus from Alabama and Amukamara from NU all figure to be top 10 picks and AJ Green may be there too. I seriously doubt more than three QBs could go in the top 10.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Are all these teams projected to take QBs? I haven't looked at too many mock drafts yet. I bet a bunch of them (including Washington, ugh) trade down and take a QB later in round one or early in round two so they don't reach for one in the top 10. I mean, besides Luck and *maybe* Newton, which other QB is worth Top 10 money?

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm glad for him, and glad for Missouri, too. He was a gutsy guy who played two-thirds of his sophomore season with one good leg, and seems to have good elusiveness against the pass rush (and he did a lot more straight running this year). Except for a few goofy plays (which the stud Missouri QBs of the recent past seem to be prone to, like Gabbert's game-losing interception against Iowa), Gabbert lived up to his promise.

However, James Franklin should be able to step right in and keep the offense, which will have at least eight of its starters returning, humming. He had a decent smattering of playing time and seemed poised. Will be interesting to see whether he's closer to Gabbert or to Brad Smith in style. I would imagine Aldon Smith will be gone, too (though Jacquies Smith probably had a slightly better season). But a five-star defensive lineman, Sheldon Richardson, who has been in juco the past two years, kept his commitment to Missouri instead of going to Southern Cal. So Mizzou should still be a national power.[/hibubbler]

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Probably none of them, but we've seen such runs before. Teams will almost always reach for a quarterback if they really feel they need one.

Anyway, hasn't ESPN already declared this the "year of the quarterback?" ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. Mizzougrad96

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock

Two mocks updated today with no mention of him.

I'm not saying he won't go high, but he's never been mentioned in the same breath as Luck, Newton, Mallett and Locker.

I think Luck will go No. 1. Newton and Mallett will go top 10. I think Locker slides to the middle of the first round.

6. Mizzougrad96

As a Niners fan, I love Mallett at No. 7. I wouldn't take Newton with a top 10 pick, but I'm sure some team will.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I've heard Gabbert's name mentioned a couple of times on TV. Not in the Luck, top 10 category, but in the late first round. I can't attest to having seen him play, but he has to be better than Locker, who is I think is the most overrated QB since Kyle Boller. I'm not sold on Mallet, at least from the neck up, either.

8. RickStare

RickStare New Member

this is going to sound rude, but there's no way that you follow the draft that closely if you had no clue that Gabbert was projected to be a first round pick

9. Steak Snabler

Mel Kiper's most recent Big Board, published on Dec. 29, does not have Gabbert in the Top 25.

Todd McShay's preseason rankings had Gabbert as the No. 4 non-senior quarterback in the country (and Cam Newton was not even ranked). There have not been more than three quarterbacks taken in the first round of any draft since 2004.

Gabbert's red-hot right now based on the Insight Bowl. He'll get his news cycle, at least until Andrew Luck or Cam Newton steals his thunder.

10. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

As a Bills fan, it's Luck or no one. Locker? Newton ? No thanks.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Bad news, though, is he may be off the board by then.

12. Steak Snabler

Don't think there's a "may" about it. Luck is the clear-cut No. 1 if he comes out. Draftniks are talking about him --- with straight faces --- as the most-polished QB prospect since Elway.

Draft saved Draft deleted