1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MU's Gabbert Goes Pro/Year of the QB-- NFL Draft Thread 11

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Missouri QB Gabbert will enter the 2011 NFL Draft
    Monday, Jan 3, 2011 at 4:07 pm EST
    SN Icon Sporting News
    Missouri quarterback Blaine Gabbert will enter the 2011 NFL Draft, the university announced Monday.

Missouri's 27-24 loss in the Insight Bowl turns out to be Gabbert's last game with the Tigers. “This is definitely a bittersweet day for me, I was really looking forward to having a chance to do some special things next season with my teammates, but in the end, this is the right decision to make for myself and my family,” Gabbert said in a press release. “These last three years have been an unbelievable experience for me, and I’ll miss being at Mizzou, but I’m definitely looking forward to this next stage of my life. I’m so grateful to have been part of such a great program and all of the people who have helped me get to this point, and now I have to take what I’ve learned, and build on that for the next level. I’ll always be a Tiger, and I look forward to watching the guys do big things in the future.”

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-01-03/missouri-qb-gabbert-will-enter-the-2011-nfl-draft#ixzz1A0cJZizy

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: MU's Gabbert Goes Pro/Declaring for the NFL Draft Thread 11

Where does he project? Third round?

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Shay, FWIW (not much!) has him No. 2 QB going around 18th in the first round.

4. Deeper_Background

No 2 QB overall sounds about right, could have played his way up the board next year if MU goes on a big run with all of ther experience.

5. Mizzougrad96

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, but I've never seen him rated among Luck, Mallett, Newton and Locker, who are all projecting as first-rounders.

Granted, a lot can change between now and April, especially for quarterbacks.

6. Deeper_Background

Numbers at the combine will tell the tale. Luck is supposed to be the best pure prospect since Elway

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Five of the top six seven teams in the draft order (Carolina, Cincinnati, Buffalo, Arizona and San Francisco) need quarterbacks. That might help Gabbert go earlier than he normally might, even if Luck, Mallett, Newton and/or Locker all go ahead of him.

8. Mizzougrad96

I thought San Fran was picking seventh. I don't see any scenario where he goes ahead of Luck or Mallett and I doubt he goes ahead of any of those four. I wonder if Shay has him listed as second among the QBs who already have declared or are seniors.

9. Deeper_Background

Andrew Luck leaves ESPN analyst Ron Jaworski ‘blown away’
    Ron Jaworski walked into Stanford’s practice with high expectations for what he’d see out of quarterback Andrew Luck. Two hours later, Jaworski was left shaking his head.

"I’ve seen some of his games on TV and was very impressed, and I’ve looked at the (game tape) and been very impressed," said Jaworski, the Monday Night Football analyst and former NFL quarterback.

"But seeing him live, I’m blown away."

Known for his knowledge of the position and intense film study, Jaworski was as impressed with Luck’s presence as his arm or accuracy.

"He looks, acts and carries himself like an NFL quarterback," Jaworski said. "He exudes leadership.

"He’s NFL-ready, as sound a quarterback as anyone I’ve seen. He throws a tight spiral, has flawless mechanics and an array of throws.

"I have no doubt he’ll be a successful pro."
    http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/college/football/view/20110101andrew_luck_leaves_espn_analyst_ron_jaworski_blown_away/srvc=home&position=also

10. Steak Snabler

You're right. Cleveland picks sixth, so it's 5 of the top 7.

But yeah, I follow the draft chatter fairly closely (being in Senior Bowl country) and this is the first I've heard of Gabbert as a potential first-round pick.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

McShay has an updated Insider link that has Gabbert going #5 to Arizona.

12. Steak Snabler

Saw that, too. Gabbert has clearly shot up the "post-bowl" rankings (though obviously, there are still bowls to be played).

Will be interesting to see if he keeps that momentum. As I noted before, several teams picking at the top of round 1 have glaring QB needs, but I don't see guys like Patrick Peterson or Nick Fairley lasting past the Top 5 regardless of which quarterbacks are still on the board.

Draft saved Draft deleted