1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Murray-- Still Searching for George

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Murray Chass rings in with about his 27th column on the missing George Steinbrenner:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/25/sports/baseball/25chass.html?_r=1&ref=sports&oref=slogin

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Yeah, you're right Boom. It's not a story when George Steinbrenner misses almost every home game. Especially with his team in a division race.

3. Boom_70

Poor Murray - never got his exit interview:

http://www.murraychass.com/

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

"Creative tension"? Nah. That would imply the implementation of subtlety and art.

Damn-the-torpedoes, I'm-the-Boss-and-you're-not, blunt, assholish
    douchebaggery? Now you're talkin'.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Pathetic article.

More about himself than about George.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I thought it was fine until the end.

I would like to have been able to recall that telephone call and other moments with George, but either he or his aides never allowed the meeting. One day I was at Yankee Stadium and was told he was there and would meet with me, but the game went by and the call never came. Now it never will.

Just unnecessary.

7. Boom_70

Certainly confirms Murray's obsession over the past 4 years of finding out if there was something wrong with George.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Unnecessary & redundant.

Murray's told this tale of woe repeatedly.

As a guy that's covered him since '73, you'd think he could tell a nice story, and include info no one else could. Instead, he made it about himself. Again.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Perhaps the fact that he couldn't says something about the subject.

I find it somewhat telling that the two writers who've known George ever since he came to the Yankees in 73, Mushnick and Chass, are the two that couldn't find positive words for him in their eulogy pieces.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Joel Sherman did as accurate a wrapup as anyone, though I'm sure the syncophants didn't like it.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/ignore_image_edit_he_ruled_by_fear_tYxNn7B9p1mTuATlM9iZWN

Your post prompted me to look for it. Yep, that's another solid lambasting. The only thing I ever noticed him being good at was spending gobs more money than his competitors could match.

Good to see a few people remember the Steinbrenner I recall--the irrational hotheaded decisionmaker who cruelly bullied his subordinates and used fear as a tool much like dictators and mafia bosses do.

All these Yankee fans praising him today are the same ones who gave the loud ovation at Yankee stadium the day it was announced he'd been banned for the sordid Winfield/Spira scandal. How soon they forget.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Yes, we all agree for the thousandth time that those were the bad days. So, that makes it right and proper to hold it against him after he served his time, and because it means nothing that the team won seven titles under his ownership -- more than any other team in that time. You and the rest of the anti-Yankees faction can do global maturity a favor and get the fuck over yourselves.

Draft saved Draft deleted