1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Murdoch gets Newsday

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PHINJ, Apr 22, 2008.

1. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

The paper can't help but improve. The WSJ is certainly better and more readable since he bought it.

2. I believe you are incorrect in both adjectives. In the Murdoch context, "more readable" means "move your lips more slowly."

3. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I don't know, I read the paper every day and I like it a lot more. I enjoy the increased political coverage, which is as good and as high-brow as any in the country. Adding more sports news has helped. Most of the WSJ staffers fears prior to takeover have been largely unfounded.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

FB: I read the WSJ each morning as part of my job, which involves close copy editing. If there is any difference of note in the Murdoch version, for good or ill, I've missed it. Same solid read it's always been.

I hesitate to bring this up here, but why sugar coat reality? The only area of coverage where Newsday and the Post significantly overlap enough to provide cost savings via reduced staff is sports.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Married to Meredith Whitney, one of the most prominent financial-group analysts on Wall Street?

The guy's a walking, erect conflict-of-interest.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Why?

Is Meredith that hot?

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

No... a play on what our friend is marketing for a living.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Oh . . . . here I was trying to make a joke, and I missed yours.

Sorry.

:'( :'( :'(

9. markvid

markvid Guest

Or the year...

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

And to answer your original query, Piotr, she's not bad. A little too porcelain and ice-princessesque for my tastes.

11. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Murdoch's sensibilities have changed since he married his third wife. She's even, gasp, a liberal! People close to him say he now cares more about his journalistic legacy than having the biggest wallet in the room.

12. This thread somehow drove off the bridge and into the Great Lake Of Fail.
    I knew we shouldn't have let Teddy drive.
    And, Michael? The blight is slow-moving, but relentless. Give it time.

Draft saved Draft deleted