1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Murder-suicide at its most intriguing in Cowtown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Man kills wife, calls her family and drives himself into a long-haul truck ...

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=4f76dfa2-43fc-4c6d-9c70-07327cd839ba

Moments before Ricky Anguish's car slammed into an oncoming semi Thursday, he made a phone call to his dead wife's family.

"It's Rick. You lose, I win," was his lone sentence for Darcy Rae Elder's brother-in-law, Kevin Halliday.

The words are believed to be Anguish's last, their sting painfully confirming the worst fears of Elder's family.

Two hours later, police arrived at the couple's Bridlewood home to check on her welfare. It was too late. Elder was dead. She had been strangled.

After serving 10 years for killing a man ...

http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Alberta/2008/04/27/5399491-sun.html

The lives of two men, one making the best of what life offered and the other selfishly, no matter the cost, stealing from others, collided in an Ontario farmer's field.

And that story, begun on a November 1994 day when Berkley Black was gunned down by Ricky Anguish, has seen its final chapter written, said Black's brother after learning his sibling's killer died in an Alberta crash this week.

"I think God brought their two stories together -- that's the way the story is played out," said Keith Black, 72.

Anguish, 44, died Thursday in a head-on collision with a semi near Strathmore in what police suspect to be a suicide.

His wife Darcy Rae Elder, 45, was found strangled in her southwest Calgary home that same day, and Anguish is believed to be her killer.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ironic name... anguish

3. Flash

Flash Guest

Indeed ... but I'm glad the Sun played it straight, instead of playing off the name. Might have been a tad tasteless.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Murdering your wife aside, if you are going to kill your damn self, why involve some innocent trucker. Thank makes him a double asswipe, in my book.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Pure class.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

he was just getting his life together, too.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

When I saw the thread title, I thought T. Cullen Davis had clawed his way out of his still-living Fort Worth grave.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Boy, that's something you never hear just before the leap off the deep end.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Since when did any of the Sun papers care about that?

10. Flash

Flash Guest

On the odd occasion, Calgary does ...

By the way, you knew this was coming, right? It's the system's fault.

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=0f6220f3-05b7-47fe-9065-17ee3024d8a8

A man suspected to have murdered his wife after serving time for manslaughter in the slaying of an Ontario farmer was failed by the system, spending years in and out of prison, says the farmer's brother.

Draft saved Draft deleted