1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Multiple deaths, including children, at Connecticut school shooting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Dec 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Well - I am all for ripping up Hippa laws and starting a database for people with mental health issues and who have received mental health treatment provided they shred them for people with AIDS, so we can know who they are and make sure they are not a threat to others.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Good luck with that one.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, my proposal doesn't go far enough?

OK. I'm open to alterations. While requiring medication seemed like a good place to start, if you think we need to go further, then we could require mandatory reporting by doctors.

Why would it stop anyone?

We were told that law abiding gun owners who found their name in the newspaper had no reason to be upset, though they had done nothing wrong.

In my proposal, the "list" is not FOIL-able. You can make it so government employees can't look up their neighbors.

Your name only gets checked against the list if you attempt to purchase a firearm, and since you would know you're on the list, there's no reason for your name to ever come up.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

How can people with epilepsy be unable to drive? Something is denied due a medical condition, right?

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Erm. The problem isn't that someone else might find out about it. It's that if you know that seeking mental health treatment will stop you getting access to a gun, you will be less likely to seek mental health treatment.

But to the other point, even if the list isn't a public record, say someone gets turned down in Bobby's Gun Shop in Ardmore, Okla., because he's on that list. You think that's not gonna get around Ardmore?

6. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

Not really...you should have fixed the grammar while you were at it.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

So a person loses his child to cancer.

He goes through a grieving period and decides he needs some help to get through it so he goes to doctor who gives him a mild anti-depressant and he remains on it for a brief period until he is able to move forward.

Six years later, he goes to get a gun permit and is denied - under this new legislation which has been proposed - because he sought "mental health treatment" within the past ten years.

Sounds reasonable to me, no doubt.

I mean, a mild anti-depressant in order to get through a temporary tragic situation is clearly the same thing as someone bi-polar whacknut needing the hardest of hard drugs to make him lucid enough to get out of bed without wanting to chop someone's head off with a meat clever.......

More registration, more regulation, more Barry in our lives!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.