1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Multimedia sports journalist, Murfreesboro, TN

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Jun 21, 2013.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

Brought to you by JournalismJobs.com and Gannett....

Company: Daily News Journal
    Salary: $25,000 to $30,000

Description: The Daily News Journal, a Gannett property in Murfreesboro, TN, is looking for a multi-media sports journalist to join our news team.

Are you as likely to capture the action with an iPhone as with a reporters’ notebook? Do you believe the best sports packages are comprised of video, photo galleries and excellent writing? Can you live tweet and engage sports fans on Facebook? Do you believe local sports are where the action is? Do you also have an understanding that breaking news is important to readers?

If so, we should chat.

This multimedia sports journalist position will work as part of our sports team. The sports journalist will cover participant sports, such as adult recreation leagues, tennis and golf, and will also assist with our award-winning and nationally-recognized college and prep sports coverage. This is a multi-media position and the production of video and photo packages are as important as excellent writing.

A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience is required. You will also need to demonstrate the ability to shoot and edit video, take photos and develop photo packages, and have an understanding of delivering content across multiple platforms, as well as the use of social media to engage readers.

If you think you are a right fit, email your resume and writing samples to Clay Morgan at cmorgan@dnj.com.

No phone calls, please.

2. Zads07

Zads07 Member

What's the timeline like for this gig? Is it gonna be filled soon or by the end of the summer? I'm also guessing you get to cover Middle Tennessee State.

3. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

They'll probably make a hire when they find the right candidate....whenever that happens.

4. buck_I_guy

buck_I_guy Guest

My niece is on scholarship at MTS for softball starting this fall. She and my sister said area is pretty nice.

5. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

I've heard the same thing. A friend of mine just spent six weeks in Murfreesboro for job training (she's now in Austin). She said the area isn't bad. It's really close to Nashville, too. And about three hours from Louisville (she went to the Kentucky Derby).

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

But is it 15 minutes from Tahoe?

Just had to add that... back on topic, Tennessee is a very nice state and Murfreesboro is between Nashville and Chattanooga (another nice city). Should be good for whoever gets the job.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

But do they have a Waffle House?

8. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

There are two Waffle Houses in town. Here's one of them:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=2427+Old+Fort+Parkway,+Murfreesboro,+TN&hl=en&ll=35.845474,-86.441846&spn=0.009114,0.021136&sll=35.845717,-86.441953&sspn=0.009184,0.021136&oq=2427+Old+Fort+Park+Murfreesboro,+TN&hnear=2427+Old+Fort+Pkwy,+Murfreesboro,+Rutherford,+Tennessee+37128&t=m&z=16

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

My hometown. Nice place.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Thirty minutes from the farm.

11. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

Yeah, but does that mean I have to do all of this myself? Gotta love Gannett

12. dingo10886

dingo10886 New Member

Anybody know what kind of experience is necessary to be considered for this position?

Draft saved Draft deleted