1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Multi-media sports writer, Evansville, Indiana

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Jun 19, 2013.

1. RandyBeard

RandyBeard New Member

I don't think we're any different than a lot of mid-size papers these days, looking to fill a vacancy with a recent grad at an entry-level salary. Trust me, I have resumes from some very talented applicants. In fact, as someone who has been a sports editor for 20 years at three different newspapers, I haven't received this kind of response -- more than 130 resumes, and counting -- for a vacancy in at least 10 years. Obviously, some people ARE interested. But I'll take your negative spin as a sign you don't want the job, so I'll go ahead and toss out your resume.

2. buck_I_guy

buck_I_guy Guest

Did not take long at all for me to apply for this opening. Jonathan was a recent grad when he got the position and to me that is a promising sign. Being a freelancer for several Central Indiana newspapers, including the Indy Star, I have the writing experience, but what I lack is the in newsroom time most shops are looking for. This is one of the few positions I have applied for where I don't feel I am waisting my time putting together an application packet. I would be happy to move to Evansville.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Never say never. The worst the editor can say is no. :)

4. Numbers aren't all that goes into a salary. Benefits and where you're living matter too. I've had one situation where I was making $11 an hour and felt like I was printing money, and I had another where I was making $15 an hour and wondering if I'd be able to survive long-term. In a place like Evansville, $29K isn't that bad. If the benefits are good, you could be making a very nice living on that.

Now that I've been a few places, one of the first things I'd tell people is to look at the cost of living where you're applying before you dismiss the salary as being not enough. $25K in California puts you in poverty. $25K in say, Arkansas, could allow you to live comfortably on your own.

5. buck_I_guy

buck_I_guy Guest

Has anyone received a call on this yet?

6. Zads07

Zads07 Member

Nothing yet, hoping to here something soon.

7. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

Hoping to what?

8. RandyBeard

RandyBeard New Member

I did start making calls on Wednesday and plan to contact two more applicants today. Again, I appreciate all the interest in this job. My decision won't be an easy one.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Hope you checked your resume for spelling and grammatical errors.

10. buck_I_guy

buck_I_guy Guest

Guessing I was not selected, no calls or email. Good luck to all in the running.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Very true.

12. Zads07

Zads07 Member

Well, I know everything is cool on the resume. Guess I forget to spell check in the late hours of the night. Whoops.

Draft saved Draft deleted