1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

And there are another 100,000 behind him. And of those 100,000 families, including (at a wild guess) a million people who were loved ones of the victims, some of them will go out and "channel their rage and sadness into raising awareness so that fewer families will have to endure this." Which is wonderful.
    But others will go out and buy guns, which thanks to MAGGAT Nation, is still very easy to do.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

• Data from the National Center for Health Statistics including the entire US population were analyzed to estimate the burden of all deaths related to coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) from March to May. There were 122,300 more deaths during this time period than would usually be expected and there were 95,235 deaths attributed to COVID-19. The excess mortality rate was 28% higher than the official tally of COVID-19–reported deaths. There was substantial variation among states in the difference between official COVID-19 deaths and excess deaths, and some of this difference may be due to a lack of availability of COVID-19 diagnostic tests in some states.
    • Official counts appear to underestimate the burden of mortality due to COVID-19

maumann likes this.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Eh, it’s just a nasty flu.

heyabbott and SFIND like this.
  5. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Stay safe. If you need any educational resources, hit me up. I just finished teaching a developmental archaeology class to middle schoolers and sent them away with links of all disciplinary flavors.

BTW, to the kid who squeaked by on the final test: No, the nickname of the remains that caused so much controversy between Johanson and the surviving Leakeys was not Betty Rubble.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  6. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

When my husband and I go to the store, as we park and put on our masks, I can't shake the feeling that we are going in to rob the place.

7. lakefront

This is from an acquaintance on fb. A libertarian/trumper...our debate was whether or not the covid was like the flu. I said no because of the extraordinary steps we have taken to stop the spread. He said...
    "I am comparing the mortality rate. That is not influenced by lockdowns, masks, distancing, or anything of the sort. The only thing those mitigation efforts have any bearing on is whether or not people are exposed to the virus, not what happens once they are."

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, your argument was off base there. What "extraordinary steps" we take may --- or may not --- be justified, with all kinds of not-quite-as-extraordinary steps in between. Sweden didn't take extraordinary steps --- that doesn't change anything about the virus.

Better to just stick with the numbers. And the fact that there is a (kinda sorta effective) vaccine for the flu, and not one for COVID. A vaccine puts things in more of an apples-to-apples mode. The flu would be much worse without a vaccine; COVID won't be as bad with a vaccine.

9. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I’ve seen this sentiment twice since you posted it this morning. It is coming somewhat out of bad math/conspiracy theory land. I asked one guy to share a source on it and he couldn’t. Said it was something he heard on the radio. The other claimed to have an inside source at the CDC.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I asked the guy from the cycling club who posted it where he got it. He said it was from a former Senator. I asked for a name and haven't gotten a reply.

11. lakefront

You don't think stopping the spread by extraordinary means affects mortality. Just the fact that the more it spreads, the more it kills, no?

This was my resonse... I don't understand that theory. 130'000 dead in 5 months and more to come once the deaths catch up down south....All that with extraordinary efforts to stop the spread. Another reason it's worse than the flu are hospitalizations. When are they overrun by the flu. And I would think the mortality rate certainly is affected by masks' etc. If people don't get it to begin with they don't die. What am I missing here? There is no good argument that the flu is anywhere near as bad as covid. (For now because a vaccine will change that) other than a predisposed stance. The numbers are out there that dispute all the talking points. Ffs just look at our numbers compared to the rest of the world and make sure they are all adjusted compared to population. Numbers and facts are out there and stand on their own.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The CDC, like all government agencies, is under the bootheel of Fatfuck. Anything and everything it says must be presumed bullshit.

Draft saved Draft deleted