1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I'd say get the F out of Dodge.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That's the first time in five weeks of looking pretty hard that I have so much as seen those. It was a Super Walmart at 5 pm, and it was the only can of Lysol and two of the three bleach wipes. I pointed out the last one to a guy beside me and watched him scoop it like Ozzie Smith.

OscarMadison and Batman like this.
  3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the documentary, "Jonestown USA".

4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Yeah, we had the opportunity to remain in place until May, just in case the state goes to hell in a handbasket over the next couple of weeks. But I've got two concerns: One, what if things are worse by then or Ding Dong DeSantis locks down the state? Two, even though the nearest hospital is 40 miles away and we have a limited source of groceries/essential items, we'd be home near our doctors and away from large metro areas.

Plus, the motorhome is its own evacuation vehicle. I'd only have to stop once for gas, while we have food, toilet and a bed. No actual need to interact with COVID carriers. Sort of like "Stripes" without John Candy. Felon driving an "urban assault vehicle." What possibly could go wrong?

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You're going to tell tales of that find to your grandchildren.

We have a pretty full can, and my mother in law gave us a couple of cans of Dollar General brand spray, so we're good for a little while. But those things are so damn rare -- like finding a Honus Wagner baseball card in the middle of a parking lot rare -- that I'm always on the lookout for them anyway. Just because I don't know when I'll find one again.

6. Neutral Corner

Well, first off, that's a play on "better half" where I'm putting the credit where it belongs. She's not as, ahem, "robust" as she once was. She has two very bad knees, both of which are due for total knee replacement surgery - when she can drop enough weight to get her BMI to what the surgeon requires. Percentage of complications is radically higher with higher BMI. The problem is that it is extremely difficult for her to exercise. She can walk with a cane as far as from our bedroom to the car in the driveway. She can't stand more than a couple of minutes without pain that would lay me out. Generally, outside of the house she's in a wheelchair.

She's done some pool exercises, but most of the weight has come off by sheer willpower. Her typical brunch is protein powder in milk, with a spoonful of instant coffee. She basically doesn't eat carbs or sugar. She's down maybe 80 lbs and needs another 15 or 20. I'm 5'8", 175 or so, and she's... not.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  7. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

We may go over 4,000 deaths today. We just hit 3,000 yesterday. But it still won't sink in.

maumann likes this.
  8. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip -- can't wait to watch it!

I loved the WWI American Experience they did a couple of years ago. I'm sure this episode will further my dislike of Woodrow Wilson -- which was stoked while watching those WWI episodes.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Shop-Rite in NJ has increasing number of infected employees, I was advised through the grapevine to shop with a shutdown in mind. Most employees wear no gloves or mask. I loaded two carts and spent $500. Seriously.

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

11. Neutral Corner

Dead on. Every time I go to any store - Walgreens, Home Depot, Publix, you name it, I check for those. I ran up on boxes of gloves at Home Depot a week ago and grabbed a couple. You just have to keep hoping. I'm in stores more than I'd prefer, but I'm gloved, I touch damn near nothing unless I'm buying it, and I wash my hands a lot. And if I do go to a store, I get what I need and get out asap.

Batman likes this.
  12. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

We hear about places like Atlanta and Detroit being at hospital capacity, but I wonder how awful it's starting to get in smaller communities? I heard through the grapevine this evening that all northern Colorado hospitals are pretty much at capacity. Greeley, where it has been rough in its county, I guess is especially bad. Haven't really heard a peep about it from local media, other than the arena in Loveland is being set up as a makeshift hospital (probably a sign it isn't good in the area). We hear so much about some of these bigger areas getting hit hard that you glance over other areas, ones you maybe didn't even think about.

Draft saved Draft deleted